SubjectRe: [RFC] Are you good with Lockdep?
Date
On Wed, Nov 11 2020 at 09:36, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:
>> Not sure I understand the "problem 2)" outlined here, but I'm looking
>> forward to your patchset!
>>
> I think I understand it. For things like completions and other "wait for
> events" we have lockdep annotation, but it is rather awkward to implement.
> Having something that says "lockdep_wait_event()" and
> "lockdep_exec_event()" wrappers would be useful.

Wrappers which make things simpler are always useful, but the lack of
wrappers does not justify a wholesale replacement.

We all know that lockdep has limitations but I yet have to see a proper
argument why this can't be solved incrementaly on top of the existing
infrastructure.

That said, I'm not at all interested in a wholesale replacement of
lockdep which will take exactly the same amount of time to stabilize and
weed out the shortcomings again.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2020-11-12 02:36    [W:0.141 / U:0.296 seconds]