SubjectRe: ext4 regression in v5.9-rc2 from e7bfb5c9bb3d on ro fs with overlapped bitmaps
On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 07:54:09PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> > > Ted: I don't think it's a good idea to make SHARED_BLOCKS disable block
> > > validity checking by default. You could someday enable users to write
> > > to block-sharing files by teaching ext4 how to COW, at which point you'd
> > > need correct bitmaps and block validity to prevent accidental overwrite
> > > of critical metadata. At that point you'd either be stuck with the
> > > precedent that SHARED_BLOCKS implies noblock_validity, or you'd end up
> > > breaking Josh's images again.
> >
> > That's a fair point (though I think a writable COW version of
> > SHARED_BLOCKS would need a different flag). It'd make more sense to key
> > this logic off of RO_COMPAT_READONLY or similar. But even better:
>
> It wouldn't require a new flag -- "rocompat" features bits mean that
> "it's safe to allow userspace to read files off the disk if software
> doesn't recognize this feature bit".

Sure; I was more thinking that if that involved adding some data
structures to track shared blocks and the need to COW, whatever
mechanism that used might potentially need an incompat flag.

> If someone /did/ add the code to write to files safely in the presence
> of shared blocks, all they'd have to do to light up the functionality is
> add it to the _SUPP define. Also, it's strange that the kernel source
> doesn't even know of SHARED_BLOCKS, but that's also on Ted...

It would be nice if the kernel's ext4.h header and e2fsprogs were fully
in sync, yes.

- Josh Triplett

  Last update: 2020-10-09 21:09    [W:0.089 / U:0.160 seconds]