SubjectRe: [RFC 13/13] m68k: mac: convert to generic clockevent
Hi Arnd,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 9:52 AM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 2:55 AM Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > That configuration still produces the same 5 KiB of bloat. I see that
> > kernel/time/Kconfig has this --
> >
> > # Core internal switch. Selected by NO_HZ_COMMON / HIGH_RES_TIMERS. This is
> > # only related to the tick functionality. Oneshot clockevent devices
> > # are supported independent of this.
> > config TICK_ONESHOT
> > bool
> >
> > But my question was really about both kinds of dead code (oneshot device
> > support and oneshot tick support). Anyway, after playing with the code for
> > a bit I don't see any easy way to reduce the growth in text size.
>
> Did you look more deeply into where those 5KB are? Is this just
> the code in kernel/time/{clockevents,tick-common}.c and the
> added platform specific bits, or is there something more?
> I suppose the sysfs interface and the clockevents_update_freq()
> logic are not really needed on m68k, but it wouldn't make much
> sense to split those out either.
>
> How does the 5KB bloat compare to the average bloat we get
> from one release to the next? Geert has been collecting statistics
> for this.

It would be a fair share of the typical increase of ca. 30 KiB per
kernel release. Still, it would be lost in the noise of the increase for
v5.10-rc1:

add/remove: 1200/455 grow/shrink: 1419/821 up/down: 468970/-93714 (375256)
Function old new delta
_printk_rb_static_infos - 180224 +180224
write_buf 8192 32768 +24576
_printk_rb_static_descs - 24576 +24576
HUF_decompress4X4_usingDTable_internal - 5664 +5664
HUF_decompress4X2_usingDTable_internal - 5006 +5006
__ext4_ioctl - 4774 +4774
sock_ops_convert_ctx_access 3840 8462 +4622
ZSTD_decompressSequences - 3100 +3100

> > > The arm/rpc timer seems to be roughly in the same category as most of
> > > the m68k ones or the i8253 counter on a PC. It's possible that some of
> > > them could use the same logic as drivers/clocksource/i8253.o as long as
> > > there is any hardware oneshot mode.
> >
> > There appear to be 15 platforms in that category. 4 have no clocksource
> > besides the jiffies clocksource, meaning there's no practical alternative
> > to using a periodic tick, like you did in your RFC patch:
> >
> > arch/m68k/apollo/config.c
> > arch/m68k/q40/q40ints.c
> > arch/m68k/sun3/sun3ints.c
> > arch/m68k/sun3x/time.c
>
> Do any of these have users? I'm fairly sure sun3x has never worked in mainline,
> sun3 seems to still need the same few patches it did 20 years ago. I
> couldn't find
> much about Linux on Apollo or q40, the information on the web for either
> of them seems to all be for linux-2.4 kernels.

They probably don't have any users.
AFAIK, the only users are the usual triumvirate of amiga/atari/mac
(and perhaps the fleet of VME boards in the Australian navy? ;)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2020-10-23 11:25    [W:0.436 / U:0.056 seconds]