SubjectRe: [RFCv2 00/16] KVM protected memory extension
Date
"Kirill A. Shutemov" <kirill@shutemov.name> writes:

> == Background / Problem ==
>
> There are a number of hardware features (MKTME, SEV) which protect guest
> memory from some unauthorized host access. The patchset proposes a purely
> software feature that mitigates some of the same host-side read-only
> attacks.
>

> == What does this set mitigate? ==
>
> - Host kernel ”accidental” access to guest data (think speculation)
>
> - Host kernel induced access to guest data (write(fd, &guest_data_ptr, len))
>
> - Host userspace access to guest data (compromised qemu)
>
> - Guest privilege escalation via compromised QEMU device emulation
>
> == What does this set NOT mitigate? ==
>
> - Full host kernel compromise. Kernel will just map the pages again.
>
> - Hardware attacks
>

> The second RFC revision addresses /most/ of the feedback.
>
> I still didn't found a good solution to reboot and kexec. Unprotect all
> the memory on such operations defeat the goal of the feature. Clearing up
> most of the memory before unprotecting what is required for reboot (or
> kexec) is tedious and error-prone.
> Maybe we should just declare them unsupported?

Making reboot unsupported is a hard sell. Could you please elaborate on
why you think that "unprotect all" hypercall (or rather a single
hypercall supporting both protecting/unprotecting) defeats the purpose
of the feature?

(Leaving kexec aside for a while) Yes, it is not easy for a guest to
clean up *all* its memory upon reboot, however:
- It may only clean up the most sensitive parts. This should probably be
done even without this new feature and even on bare metal (think about
next boot target being malicious).
- The attack window shrinks significantly. "Speculative" bugs require
time to exploit and it will only remain open until it boots up again
(few seconds).

--
Vitaly

  Last update: 2020-10-20 09:47    [W:0.375 / U:0.344 seconds]