SubjectRe: Regression: epoll edge-triggered (EPOLLET) for pipes/FIFOs
On 10/12/20 10:52 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 1:30 PM Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
> <mtk.manpages@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [CC += Davide]
>
> I'm not sure how active Davide is any more..

Yep, I know. But just in case.

>> I don't think this is correct. The epoll(7) manual page
>> sill carries the text written long ago by Davide Libenzi,
>> the creator of epoll:
>>
>> Since even with edge-triggered epoll, multiple events can be gen‐
>> erated upon receipt of multiple chunks of data, the caller has the
>> option to specify the EPOLLONESHOT flag, to tell epoll to disable
>> the associated file descriptor after the receipt of an event with
>> epoll_wait(2).
>>
>> My reading of that text is that in the scenario that I describe a
>> readiness notification should be generated at step 3 (and indeed
>> should be generated whenever additional data bleeds into the channel).
>
> Hmm.
>
> That is unfortunate, because it basically exposes an internal wait
> queue implementation decision, not actual real semantics.

I don't disagree that the longstanding semantics are a little odd;
your comment explains perhaps why.

> I suspect it's easy enough to "fix" the regression with the attached
> patch. It's pretty nonsensical, but I guess there's not a lot of
> downside - if the pipe wasn't empty, there normally shouldn't be any
> non-epoll readers anyway.
>
> I'm busy merging, mind testing this odd patch out? It is _entirely_
> untested, but from the symptoms I think it's the obvious fix.

Applied against current master (13cb73490f475). My test now
runs as I expected.

> I did the same thing for the "reader starting out from a full pipe" case too.

I haven't tested this, but thanks for thinking of it.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk

  Last update: 2020-10-12 23:52    [W:0.087 / U:0.156 seconds]