SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] RCU changes for v5.10
On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 7:14 AM Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:

> Please pull the latest core/rcu git tree from:
>
> RCU changes for v5.10:
>
> - Debugging for smp_call_function()
> - RT raw/non-raw lock ordering fixes
> - Strict grace periods for KASAN
> - New smp_call_function() torture test
> - Torture-test updates
> - Documentation updates
> - Miscellaneous fixes

I am *very* unhappy with this pull request.

It doesn't even mention the big removal of CONFIR_PREEMPT, that I felt
was still under discussion.

I don't absolutely hate that code, and I'm willing to be convinced
about how little it matter for people who don't want to have the
counting overhead, but I refuse to pull it as some secret hidden thing
that isn't even mentioned in the pull request.

Honestly, I did not get any strong arguments for why making the
preempt count unconditional was such an important thing.

Yes, Thomas pointed me at a couple of uses that were garbage, but even
the people involved in those seemed to agree they were legacy garbage.

So why was this preempt-count thing then pushed through like this?

Linus

  Last update: 2020-10-12 22:25    [W:0.053 / U:0.124 seconds]