SubjectRe: [RFC] tools lib traceevent: How to do library versioning being in the Linux kernel source?
On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 18:12:42 -0500
Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 21:17:43 +0900
> Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> > +1. It sounds reasonable to move the main part of libtraceevent out
> > of kernel tree. BTW, the plugins seems depending on the kernel. Maybe
> > we can provide it under
> > /lib/modules/<kversion>/shared/libtraceevent/plugins/ ? :)
>
> They really shouldn't be. They should be able to be used between
> different versions of the kernel. Which plugins do you see an issue
> with?

I meant tools/lib/traceevent/plugins.
It seems that those plugins provide equivarent codes of some macros
or values in event formats. In that case, when a new kernel modifies
the event definitions, I think some of those needs to be updated too.
Or, would those events be considered as a stable ABI?

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>

  Last update: 2020-01-05 14:19    [W:0.067 / U:0.164 seconds]