SubjectRe: linux-next: build failure after merge of the block tree
On 1/13/20 10:09 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 1/12/20 11:32 AM, Al Viro wrote:

>>> Thanks Stephen - I'll pull in the VFS tree and rebase the 5.6 io_uring
>>> bits on that. Then I'll send it out for review again, haven't heard from
>>> Al on the non-block open change.
>>
>> FWIW, I don't believe that your approach is workable. First of all,
>> *ANY* transition out of RCU mode can lead to blocking. You need to
>> acquire several references (mount and dentry, at the very least).
>> Suppose the last one fails (->d_seq mismatch). Now you suddenly
>> have to drop the one(s) you've acquired. And both dput() and mntput()
>> are fundamentally blocking operations.
>>
>> It simply does not work. You could cobble up something that kinda-sorta
>> works, if your added flag had
>> * caused hard failure on unlazy_child()
>> * caused hard failure on unlazy_walk() with any symlinks in stack
>> * caused hard failure on unlazy_walk() if it would've been required
>> to grab root
>> * made unlazy_walk() go through very careful dance if it's just
>> about nd->path; I'm not sure how well that could be done, but theoretically
>> it's not impossible.
>>
>> But for open() it's not going to work at all. Any open for write => you
>> will have to wait if you run into fs freeze. O_TRUNC => you've got IO
>> to do. Worst of all, once you've dropped out of RCU mode, *YOU* *CAN'T*
>> *FAIL*. Because that means blocking operations. So you need to verify
>> that you won't run into a blocking ->open(), IMA deciding to play silly
>> buggers and read through the entire file, etc., etc. _before_ dropping
>> out of RCU mode.
>>
>> do_last() is messy enough as it is; adding _this_ is completely out of
>> question.
>
> Thanks Al, that's useful! Sounds like the lookup is doable, but the open
> part is just a wasp nest of "don't even go there". For now, I'll drop
> the lookup change and just have the io_uring open punt to async. With
> that, I don't need any non-blocking guarantees. That is workable for
> now.

Forgot to mention, I'll implement your addition for the lookup part,
since I still need that for the statx addition. But the open itself
will not use any of that, I'll leave that as-is and just go async.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2020-01-13 18:27    [W:0.046 / U:0.012 seconds]