SubjectRe: "beyond 2038" warnings from loopback mount is noisy

Am 04.09.19 um 14:58 schrieb Theodore Y. Ts'o:
> Again, the likelihood that there will be file systems that have this
> problem in 2038 is... extremely low in my judgement. Storage media
> just doesn't last that long

in times of virtualization storage media are below the vdisk and the
file system lasts that long and even longer

in times of running RAID on your storage they last that long because you
happily replace dead disks and move you hard drives to the next computer
when the rest of the hardware is dead

> and distributions such as Red Hat and
> SuSE very strongly encourage people to reformat file systems and do
> *not* support upgrades from ext3 to ext4 by using tune2fs. If you do
> this, their help desk will laugh at you and refuse to help you.

i would have laughed at somebody telling me in 2010 that i have to start
again from scratch instead convert all the virtual servers installed two
years ago to ext4 or in general install repeatly from scratch instead
doing all the dist-upgrades from Fedora 9 to Fedora 30 with no downtime
longer than a ordinary kernel update and reboot

and here we are, with file systems and operating systems installed in
2008 running 11 years later just fine - it's Linux not Windows

  Last update: 2019-09-04 15:23    [W:0.088 / U:0.444 seconds]