SubjectRe: Lease semantic proposal
On Wed, 2019-09-25 at 16:46 -0700, Ira Weiny wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 08:26:20AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 12:08:53PM -0700, Ira Weiny wrote:
> > > Since the last RFC patch set[1] much of the discussion of supporting RDMA with
> > > FS DAX has been around the semantics of the lease mechanism.[2] Within that
> > > thread it was suggested I try and write some documentation and/or tests for the
> > > new mechanism being proposed. I have created a foundation to test lease
> > > functionality within xfstests.[3] This should be close to being accepted.
> > > Before writing additional lease tests, or changing lots of kernel code, this
> > > email presents documentation for the new proposed "layout lease" semantic.
> > >
> > > At Linux Plumbers[4] just over a week ago, I presented the current state of the
> > > patch set and the outstanding issues. Based on the discussion there, well as
> > > follow up emails, I propose the following addition to the fcntl() man page.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Ira
> > >
> > > [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/8/9/1043
> > > [2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/8/9/1062
> > > [3] https://www.spinics.net/lists/fstests/msg12620.html
> > > [4] https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/contributions/368/
> > >

> > > <fcntl man page addition>
> > > Layout Leases
> > > -------------
> > >
> > > Layout (F_LAYOUT) leases are special leases which can be used to control and/or
> > > be informed about the manipulation of the underlying layout of a file.
> > >
> > > A layout is defined as the logical file block -> physical file block mapping
> > > including the file size and sharing of physical blocks among files. Note that
> > > the unwritten state of a block is not considered part of file layout.
> >
> > Why even mention "unwritten" state if it's not considered something
> > that the layout lease treats differently?
> >
> > i.e. Unwritten extents are a filesystem implementation detail that
> > is not exposed to userspace by anything other than FIEMAP. If they
> > have no impact on layout lease behaviour, then why raise it as
> > something the user needs to know about?
>
> This paragraph was intended to define a layout. So I guess one could say our
> internal discussion on what defines a "layout" has leaked into the external
> documentation. Do you think we should just remove the second sentence or the
> whole paragraph?
>
> > > **Read layout lease F_RDLCK | F_LAYOUT**
> > >
> > > Read layout leases can be used to be informed of layout changes by the
> > > system or other users. This lease is similar to the standard read (F_RDLCK)
> > > lease in that any attempt to change the _layout_ of the file will be reported to
> > > the process through the lease break process.
> >
> > Similar in what way? The standard F_RDLCK lease triggers on open or
> > truncate - a layout lease does nothing of the sort.
>
> Similar in that attempts to "write" the layout will result in breaking the
> lease just like attempts to write the file would break the standard F_RDLCK
> lease. I'm not stuck on the verbiage though; similar may be the wrong word.

> [...]

Whatever the semantics, from an API standpoint, I think we should not
try to multiplex layout behavior on top of F_SETLEASE. Layouts should
get new fcntl cmd values (maybe F_SETLAYOUT/F_GETLAYOUT) and then you
wouldn't need to expose the F_LAYOUT flag to userland.

The behavior of layouts is different enough from "traditional" leases
that trying to mash them together like this is only going to cause
confusion.

Note that I'm mainly concerned with the user-facing API with this. The
kernel internals can still use F_LAYOUT flag, and you can do the
F_SETLAYOUT -> F_LAYOUT translation at a high level.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@kernel.org>

  Last update: 2019-09-26 13:29    [W:0.108 / U:0.580 seconds]