SubjectRe: Unmerged patches adding audit when protected_regular/fifos sysctl causes EACCES
----- On Sep 25, 2019, at 4:12 PM, Kees Cook keescook@chromium.org wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 02:58:28PM -0400, Jérémie Galarneau wrote:
>> Hi Kees,
>>
>> I have noticed that the two top-most patches of your protected-creat
>> branch were never merged upstream [1]. Those patches add audit logs
>> whenever the protected_regular or protected_fifo sysctl prevent the
>> creation of a file/fifo.
>>
>> They were mentioned in the v4 thread [2] of the "main" patch and
>> seemed acceptable, but they were no longer mentioned in v5 [3], which
>> was merged.
>>
>> Now that systemd enables those sysctls by default (v241+), I got
>> bitten pretty hard by this check and it took me a while to figure out
>> what was happening [4]. I ended up catching it by adding a bunch of
>> printk(), including where you proposed to add an audit log statement.
>>
>> I just found your two patches while implementing what you proposed almost 1:1.
>>
>> Was there a reason why those were abandoned? Otherwise, would you mind
>> resubmitting them?
>
> Hi!
>
> There was concern about getting buy-in from the audit folks delaying
> things even more. Instead of waiting for that, as it had already taken
> a long time to get consensus even on the functionality, they were
> dropped.
>
> I'll rebase them and send them out again; thanks for the ping!

If you need additional justification for why those are needed, here are
a few problematic scenarios we're observing in the current situation.
Feel free to use those if you need to add extra justification for your
audit patches commit messages.

A first scenario is a host with containers, where a container runs
userspace processes which depend on the open() behavior changed
by those sysctl. If the host is updated to systemd 241+, which enables
those sysctl by default, those containers will start misbehaving, and
figuring out the culprit without any hint in the kernel dmesg is far
from obvious.

A similar situation happens for non-containerized deployments. If an
application depends on this open() ABI behavior tweaked by those sysctl,
the application will start failing if it happens to run on a system
with systemd 241+. Again, without any dmesg printout, it's rather hard
to diagnose.

Thanks!

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

  Last update: 2019-09-25 22:25    [W:0.065 / U:0.660 seconds]