SubjectRe: pstore does not work under xen
On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 03:42:27PM +0000, James Dingwall wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 12:37:40PM -0400, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:

> > > For clarification this is a dom0 crash rather than an HVM guest with EFI. I
> > > should probably have also mentioned the xen verion has changed from 4.8.4 to
> > > 4.11.2 in case its behaviour on detection of crashed domain has changed.
> > >
> > > (For capturing guest crashes we have enabled xenconsole logging so the
> > > hvc0 log is available in dom0.)
> >

> > Do you only see this difference between 4.4 and 5.0 when you crash via
> > sysrq?
> >
> > Because that's where things changed. On 4.4 we seem to be forcing an
> > oops, which eventually calls kmsg_dump() and then panic. On 5.0 we call
> > panic() directly from sysrq handler. And because Xen's panic notifier
> > doesn't return we never get a chance to call kmsg_dump().
> >

> Ok, I see that change in 8341f2f222d729688014ce8306727fdb9798d37e. I
> hadn't tested it any other way before. Using the null pointer
> de-reference module code at [1] a pstore record is generated as expected
> when the module is loaded (panic_on_oops=1).

This change looks correct -- it just gets us directly to the panic()
state instead of exercising the various exception handlers.

> I have also tested swapping the kmsg_dump() /
> atomic_notifier_call_chain() around in panic.c and this also results in
> a pstore record being created with sysrq-c. I don't know if that would
> be an acceptable solution though since it may break behaviour that other
> things depend on.

I don't think reordering these is a good idea: as the comments say,
there might be work done in the notifier chain that kmsg_dump() will
want to capture (e.g. the KASLR base offset).

The situation seems to be that notifier callbacks must return -- I think
Xen needs fixing here.

--
Kees Cook

  Last update: 2019-09-24 00:59    [W:0.068 / U:0.336 seconds]