SubjectRe: For review: pidfd_open(2) manual page
Hello Christian,

On 9/23/19 4:38 PM, Christian Brauner wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 11:11:53AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>> Hello Christian and all,
>>
>> Below, I have the rendered version of the current draft of
>> the pidfd_open(2) manual page that I have written.
>> The page source can be found in a Git branch at:
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/log/?h=draft_pidfd
>>
>> I would be pleased to receive corrections and notes on any
>> details that should be added. (For example, are there error
>> cases that I have missed?)
>>
>> Would you be able to review please?
>
> Again, thank you Michael for doing this!
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> NAME
>> pidfd_open - obtain a file descriptor that refers to a process
>>
>> SYNOPSIS
>> int pidfd_open(pid_t pid, unsigned int flags);
>>
>> DESCRIPTION
>> The pidfd_open() system creates a file descriptor that refers to
>
> s/system/system call/

Fixed.

>> the process whose PID is specified in pid. The file descriptor is
>> returned as the function result; the close-on-exec flag is set on
>> the file descriptor.
>>
>> The flags argument is reserved for future use; currently, this
>> argument must be specified as 0.
>>
>> RETURN VALUE
>> On success, pidfd_open() returns a nonnegative file descriptor.
>> On success, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the cause
>
> s/On success/On error/g

Fixed.

>> of the error.
>>
>> ERRORS
>> EINVAL flags is not 0.
>>
>> EINVAL pid is not valid.
>>
>> ESRCH The process specified by pid does not exist.
>>
>> VERSIONS
>> pidfd_open() first appeared in Linux 5.3.
>>
>> CONFORMING TO
>> pidfd_open() is Linux specific.
>>
>> NOTES
>> Currently, there is no glibc wrapper for this system call; call it
>> using syscall(2).
>>
>> The pidfd_send_signal(2) system call can be used to send a signal
>> to the process referred to by a PID file descriptor.
>>
>> A PID file descriptor can be monitored using poll(2), select(2),
>> and epoll(7). When the process that it refers to terminates, the
>> file descriptor indicates as readable. Note, however, that in the
>
> Not a native English speaker but should this be "indicates it is
> readable"?

See my reply to Florian.

>> current implementation, nothing can be read from the file descrip‐
>> tor.
>>
>> The pidfd_open() system call is the preferred way of obtaining a
>> PID file descriptor. The alternative is to obtain a file descrip‐
>> tor by opening a /proc/[pid] directory. However, the latter tech‐
>> nique is possible only if the proc(5) file system is mounted; fur‐
>> thermore, the file descriptor obtained in this way is not pol‐
>> lable.
>
> I mentioned this already in the CLONE_PIDFD manpage, we should probably
> not make a big deal out of this and not mention /proc/<pid> here at all.

The thing is, people *will* learn about these two different types
of FDs, whether we document them or not. So, I think it's better to
be up front about what's available, and make a suitably strong
recommendation about the preferred technique.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like just a couple of releases
after it was implemented, you're saying that implementing
open(/proc/PID) was a mistake?

> (Crazy idea, but we could also have a config option that allows you to
> turn of proc-pid-dirfds as pidfds if we start to feel really strongly
> about this or a sysctl whatever...)
>

>> See also the discussion of the CLONE_PIDFD flag in clone(2).
>>
>> EXAMPLE
>> The program below opens a PID file descriptor for the process
>> whose PID is specified as its command-line argument. It then mon‐
>> itors the file descriptor for readability (POLLIN) using poll(2).
>
> Yeah, maybe say "monitors the file descriptor for process exit indicated
> by an EPOLLIN event" or something. Readability might be confusing.

I like that suggestion! I reworded to something close to what you suggest.

>> When the process with the specified by PID terminates, poll(2)
>> returns, and indicates that the file descriptor is readable.
>
> See comment above "readable". (I'm on my phone and I think someone
> pointed this out already.)

Actually, I think I can just remove that sentence. It doesn't really
add much.

>> Program source
>>
>> #define _GNU_SOURCE
>> #include <sys/syscall.h>
>> #include <unistd.h>
>> #include <poll.h>
>> #include <stdlib.h>
>> #include <stdio.h>
>>
>> #ifndef __NR_pidfd_open
>> #define __NR_pidfd_open 434
>> #endif
>
> Alpha is special... (and not in a good way).
> So you would need to special case Alpha since that's the only arch where
> we haven't been able to unify syscall numbering. :D
> But it's not super important.

Okay.

> I like the program example.

Good.

Thanks for reviewing! I've pushed various changes
to the Git branch at
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/log/?h=draft_pidfd

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk

  Last update: 2019-09-23 22:22    [W:0.101 / U:0.216 seconds]