SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Kselftest update for Linux 5.4-rc1
> Beyond the muscle memory aspect, nonsensical naming and inanely flat file
> hierarchies annoy kernel developers

Flat(ish) file hierarchies are good -- less typing.
If you're copy-pasting then it doesn't matter much (it still matters a
little because long filename occupy more space on the screen and in logs).

> makes it harder for newbies to understand the kernel source as well.

That's fine too.

> drwxr-xr-x crypto # move to kernel/crypto/ or security/crypto/

No, crypto/ is fine.

If everything arch independent should live at kernel/ then why should kernel/
exist at all? It should be trimmed and everything moved to the top level
directory (OK, I'm not really suggesting that).

> drwxr-xr-x ipc # move to kernel/ipc/

No, same reason. It was there since time immemorial.

> drwxr-xr-x samples # move to Documentation/samples/

Just delete it. Best API usage samples are in modern parts of main tree,
actively maintained/updated.

> drwxr-xr-x scripts # move to build/scripts/

eh

> drwxr-xr-x sound # move to drivers/sound/

NO! it has hw independent part and pretty big one.

> drwxr-xr-x tools

If tools/ people could somewhow stop duplicating large parts of include/linux
and arch/x86/include/asm it will be very much appreciated.

> - 'block' could in principle move to drivers/block/core/ but it's fine
> at the top level too I think.

It is fine indeed. Short name, top level dir, arch and hw independent
code -- it is perfect.

> I'm volunteering to do this (in a scripted, repeatable, reviewable,
> tweakable and "easy to execute in a quiet moment" fashion), although
> I also expect you to balk at the churn. :-)

Can I pay you $100 to not do this ever?

In Russia we say "what has grown has grown" and it is not like Linux is
perfect example of intelligent design.

  Last update: 2019-09-22 14:30    [W:0.029 / U:0.284 seconds]