    SubjectRe: Linux 5.3-rc8
    On 16 September 2019 18:41:36 GMT-07:00, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    >On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 6:24 PM Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> Exactly the scenario where you want getrandom() to block, yes.
    >
    >It *would* block. Just not forever.

    It's already not forever - there's enough running in the background of that system that it'll unblock eventually.

    >And btw, the whole "generate key at boot when nothing else is going
    >on" is already broken, so presumably nobody actually does it.

    If nothing ever did this, why was getrandom() designed in a way to protect against this situation?

    >See why I'm saying "hypothetical"? You're doing it again.
    >
    >> >Then you have to ignore the big warning too.
    >>
    >> The big warning that's only printed in dmesg?
    >
    >Well, the patch actually made getrandom() return en error too, but you
    >seem more interested in the hypotheticals than in arguing actualities.

    If you want to be safe, terminate the process.

    --
    Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

      Last update: 2019-09-17 04:08    [W:4.168 / U:0.376 seconds]