SubjectRe: 5.3 boot regression caused by 5.3 TPM changes
Hi,

On 05-08-19 18:01, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 at 19:12, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 04-08-19 17:33, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,

>>> Are you booting a 64-bit kernel on 32-bit firmware?
>>
>> Yes you are right, I must say that this is somewhat surprising
>> most Cherry Trail devices do use 64 bit firmware (where as Bay Trail
>> typically uses 32 bit). But I just checked efibootmgr output and it
>> says it is booting: \EFI\FEDORA\SHIMIA32.EFI so yeah 32 bit firmware.
>>
>> Recent Fedora releases take care of this so seamlessly I did not
>> even realize...
>>

> OK, so we'll have to find out how this patch affects 64-bit code
> running on 32-bit firmware. The only EFI call in that patch is
> get_config_table(), which is not actually a EFI boot service call but
> a EFI stub helper that parses the config table array in the EFI system
> table.

Ok, the problem indeed is the new get_efi_config_table() helper, it
does not make any calls, but it does interpret some structs which
have different sized members depending on if the firmware is 32 or 64 bit.

I've prepared a patch fixing this which I will send out after this mail.

Regards,

Hans

  Last update: 2019-08-07 23:56    [W:0.092 / U:0.232 seconds]