    SubjectRe: a bug in genksysms/CONFIG_MODVERSIONS w/ __attribute__((foo))?
    Masahiro Yamada's on August 27, 2019 8:49 pm:
    > Hi.
    >
    > On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:59 PM Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Nick Desaulniers's on August 27, 2019 8:57 am:

    >> > Ah, looks like I'm late to the party:
    >> > https://lwn.net/Articles/707520/
    >>
    >> Yeah, would be nice to do something about this.
    >
    > modversions is ugly, so it would be great if we could dump it.
    >
    >> IIRC (without re-reading it all), in theory distros would be okay
    >> without modversions if they could just provide their own explicit
    >> versioning. They take care about ABIs, so they can version things
    >> carefully if they had to change.
    >
    > We have not provided any alternative solution for this, haven't we?
    >
    > In your patch (https://lwn.net/Articles/707729/),
    > you proposed CONFIG_MODULE_ABI_EXPLICIT.

    Right, that was just my first proposal, but I am not confident that I
    understood everybody's requirements. I don't think the distro people
    had much time to to test things out.

    One possible shortcoming with that patch is no per-symbol version. The
    distro may break an ABI for a security fix, but they don't want to break
    all out of tree modules if it's an obscure ABI. The counter argument to
    that is they should just rename the symbol in their kernel for such
    cases, so I didn't implement it without somebody describing a good
    requirement.

    > If it is good enough for distros, we merge it first,
    > give them time to migrate over to it, then finally remove modversions??

    I guess. Do we really need to merge and wait? If they _really_ want it,
    and won't put in effort to convert their kernel packaging, then they
    can carry the patch and support it quite easily. The code doesn't
    change frequently so it should not be a big roadblock

    I'm more concerned about developer and hobbyists etc who don't have the
    resources. But IIRC we are satisfied that git version has superseded
    the benefits of modversions for that case now.

    Thanks,
    Nick

      Last update: 2019-08-27 14:43    [W:3.585 / U:0.772 seconds]