SubjectRe: [LKP] [drm/mgag200] 90f479ae51: vm-scalability.median -18.8% regression
Hi

Am 22.08.19 um 22:02 schrieb Dave Airlie:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 at 03:25, Thomas Zimmermann <tzimmermann@suse.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I was traveling and could reply earlier. Sorry for taking so long.
>>
>> Am 13.08.19 um 11:36 schrieb Feng Tang:
>>> Hi Thomas,

>>> We also did some further break down for the time consumed by the
>>> new code.
>>>
>>> The drm_fb_helper_dirty_work() calls sequentially
>>> 1. drm_client_buffer_vmap (290 us)
>>> 2. drm_fb_helper_dirty_blit_real (19240 us)
>>> 3. helper->fb->funcs->dirty() ---> NULL for mgag200 driver
>>> 4. drm_client_buffer_vunmap (215 us)
>>>

>> It's somewhat different to what I observed, but maybe I just couldn't
>> reproduce the problem correctly.
>>
>>> The average run time is listed after the function names.
>>>
>>> From it, we can see drm_fb_helper_dirty_blit_real() takes too long
>>> time (about 20ms for each run). I guess this is the root cause
>>> of this regression, as the original code doesn't use this dirty worker.
>>
>> True, the original code uses a temporary buffer, but updates the display
>> immediately.
>>
>> My guess is that this could be a caching problem. The worker runs on a
>> different CPU, which doesn't have the shadow buffer in cache.
>>
>>> As said in last email, setting the prefer_shadow to 0 can avoid
>>> the regrssion. Could it be an option?
>>
>> Unfortunately not. Without the shadow buffer, the console's display
>> buffer permanently resides in video memory. It consumes significant
>> amount of that memory (say 8 MiB out of 16 MiB). That doesn't leave
>> enough room for anything else.
>>
>> The best option is to not print to the console.
>
> Wait a second, I thought the driver did an eviction on modeset of the
> scanned out object, this was a deliberate design decision made when
> writing those drivers, has this been removed in favour of gem and
> generic code paths?

Yes. We added back this feature for testing in [1]. It was only an
improvement of ~1% compared to the original report. I wouldn't mind
landing this patch set, but it probably doesn't make a difference either.

Best regards
Thomas

[1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2019-August/228950.html

--
Thomas Zimmermann
Graphics Driver Developer

  Last update: 2019-08-23 11:56    [W:0.803 / U:0.264 seconds]