SubjectRe: [patch] mm, page_alloc: move_freepages should not examine struct page of reserved memory
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 03:49:29PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > I'm thinking Fixes:907ec5fca3dc and Cc:stable? But 907ec5fca3dc is
> > > almost a year old, so you were doing something special to trigger this?
> > >

> > We noticed it almost immediately after bringing 907ec5fca3dc in on
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_VM builds. It depends on finding specific free pages in the
> > per-zone free area where the math in move_freepages() will bring the start
> > or end pfn into reserved memory and wanting to claim that entire pageblock
> > as a new migratetype. So the path will be rare, require CONFIG_DEBUG_VM,
> > and require fallback to a different migratetype.
> >
> > Some struct pages were already zeroed from reserve pages before
> > 907ec5fca3c so it theoretically could trigger before this commit. I think
> > it's rare enough under a config option that most people don't run that
> > others may not have noticed. I wouldn't argue against a stable tag and
> > the backport should be easy enough, but probably wouldn't single out a
> > commit that this is fixing.
>
> OK, thanks. I added the above two paragraphs to the changelog and
> removed the Fixes:
>
> Hopefully Mel will be able to review this for us.

Bit late as I was offline but FWIW

Acked-by: Mel Gorman <mgorman@techsingularity.net>

That said, the overhead of the debugging check is higher with this
patch although it'll only affect debug builds and the path is not
particularly hot. If this was a concern, I think it would be reasonable
to simply remove the debugging check as the zone boundaries are checked
in move_freepages_block and we never expect a zone/node to be smaller
than a pageblock and stuck in the middle of another zone.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2019-08-19 15:36    [W:1.625 / U:0.436 seconds]