SubjectRe: WARNING in __mmdrop

On 2019/7/29 下午10:44, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 10:24:43PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

>>> I would rather we start with 1 and switch to 2 after we
>>> can show some gain.
>>>
>>> But the worst case needs to be addressed.
>>
>> Yes.
>>

>>> How about sending a signal to
>>> the vhost thread? We will need to fix up error handling (I think that
>>> at the moment it will error out in that case, handling this as EFAULT -
>>> and we don't want to drop packets if we can help it, and surely not
>>> enter any error states. In particular it might be especially tricky if
>>> we wrote into userspace memory and are now trying to log the write.
>>> I guess we can disable the optimization if log is enabled?).
>>
>> This may work but requires a lot of changes.
> I agree.
>
>> And actually it's the price of
>> using vq mutex.
> Not sure what's meant here.

I mean if we use vq mutex, it means the critical section was increased
and we need to deal with swapping then.

>> Actually, the critical section should be rather small, e.g
>> just inside memory accessors.
> Also true.
>
>> I wonder whether or not just do synchronize our self like:
>>
>> static void inline vhost_inc_vq_ref(struct vhost_virtqueue *vq)
>> {
>>         int ref = READ_ONCE(vq->ref);
>>
>>         WRITE_ONCE(vq->ref, ref + 1);
>> smp_rmb();
>> }
>>
>> static void inline vhost_dec_vq_ref(struct vhost_virtqueue *vq)
>> {
>>         int ref = READ_ONCE(vq->ref);
>>
>> smp_wmb();
>>         WRITE_ONCE(vq->ref, ref - 1);
>> }
>>
>> static void inline vhost_wait_for_ref(struct vhost_virtqueue *vq)
>> {
>>         while (READ_ONCE(vq->ref));
>> mb();
>> }
> Looks good but I'd like to think of a strategy/existing lock that let us
> block properly as opposed to spinning, that would be more friendly to
> e.g. the realtime patch.

Does it make sense to disable preemption in the critical section? Then
we don't need to block and we have a deterministic time spent on memory
accssors?

>> Or using smp_load_acquire()/smp_store_release() instead?
>>
>> Thanks
> These are cheaper on x86, yes.

Will use this.

Thanks

  Last update: 2019-07-30 09:46    [W:0.115 / U:0.664 seconds]