SubjectRe: [patch 10/12] hrtimer: Determine hard/soft expiry mode for hrtimer sleepers on RT
Julia,

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019, Julia Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 08:30:58PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > + * OTOH, priviledged real-time user space applications rely on the
> > + * low latency of hard interrupt wakeups. If the current task is in
> > + * a real-time scheduling class, mark the mode for hard interrupt
> > + * expiry.
> > + */
> > + if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT)) {
> > + if (task_is_realtime(current) && !(mode & HRTIMER_MODE_SOFT))
> > + mode |= HRTIMER_MODE_HARD;
>
> Because this ends up sampling the tasks' scheduling parameters only at
> the time of enqueue, it doesn't take into consideration whether or not
> the task maybe holding a PI lock and later be boosted if contended by an
> RT thread.
>
> Am I correct in assuming there is an induced inversion here in this
> case, because the deferred wakeup mechanism isn't part of the PI chain?
>
> If so, is this just to be an accepted limitation at this point? Is the
> intent to argue this away as bad RT application design? :)

This would bring us back to the point where we moved the hrtimers
which were not marked for hardirq expiry onto the separate softirq expiry
list. That caused horrible latencies in some scenarios.

The separation of the bases into hard and soft expiry mode solved that
nicely and I haven't heard a complaint since we changed that in 4.14-rt.

So yes I'd argue it's an application issue. Holding a lock while doing
e.g. a nanosleep is not the most brilliant idea.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2019-07-26 23:36    [W:0.162 / U:0.060 seconds]