SubjectRe: objtool warnings in prerelease clang-9
On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 3:07 PM Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> That is good news; and I'll strive to read the email in more detail
> in the morning when there is a better chance of me actually
> understanding some of it :-)
>
> But his here is something I felt needed clarification:
>
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 01:53:51PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > Of interest are the disassembled __jump_table entries; in groups of
> > three, there is a group for which the second element is duplicated
> > with a previous group. This is bad because (as explained by Peter in
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/6/27/118) the triples are in the form (code
> > location, jump target, pointer to key). Duplicate or repeated jump
> > targets are unexpected, and will lead to incorrect control flow after
> > patching such code locations.
>
> > Also, the jump target should be 0x7 bytes ahead of the location, IIUC.
>
> Even if you mean 'at least' I'm fairly sure this is not correct. The
> instruction at the 'code location' is either a jmp.d32 or a nop5 (both 5
> bytes). The target must (obviously) be at an instruction boundary, but
> really can be anywhere (it is compiler generated after all).

Got it. Issue should be fixed outright with:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D64101 (I figured out how to fix the loop
unroller, so now we can proceed with the optimization instead of the
base conservative case).
--
Thanks,
~Nick Desaulniers

  Last update: 2019-07-03 02:31    [W:0.070 / U:0.264 seconds]