SubjectRe: [RFC v2 00/27] Kernel Address Space Isolation

On 7/12/19 3:07 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 02:47:23PM +0200, Alexandre Chartre wrote:

>>> You can't do that without much of the scheduler changes present in the
>>> core-scheduling patches.
>>>

>> We hope we can do that without the whole core-scheduling mechanism. The idea
>> is to send an IPI to all sibling hyperthreads. This IPI will interrupt these
>> sibling hyperthreads and have them wait for a condition that will allow them
>> to resume execution (for example when re-entering isolation). We are
>> investigating this in parallel to ASI.
>
> You cannot wait from IPI context, so you have to go somewhere else to
> wait.
>
> Also, consider what happens when the task that entered isolation decides
> to schedule out / gets migrated.
>
> I think you'll quickly find yourself back at core-scheduling.

I haven't looked at details about what has been done so far. Hopefully, we
can do something not too complex, or reuse a (small) part of co-scheduling.

Thanks for pointing this out.

alex.

  Last update: 2019-07-12 15:52    [W:0.087 / U:1.080 seconds]