SubjectRe: single copy atomicity for double load/stores on 32-bit systems
On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 04:34:52PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> [...]

OK, !SMP should be fine, then.

> There were SMP m68k systems (but I can't remember one).
> It was important to continue from a mid-instruction trap on the
> same cpu - unless you could guarantee that all the cpus had
> exactly the same version of the microcode.

Yuck! ;-)

> In any case you could probably use the 'cmp2' instruction
> for an atomic 64bit write.
> OTOH setting that up was such a PITA it was always easier
> to disable interrupts.

Unless I am forgetting something, given that m68k is a 32-bit system,
we should be OK without an atomic 64-bit write.

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2019-06-06 23:18    [W:0.030 / U:26.076 seconds]