SubjectRe: hid-related 5.2-rc1 boot hang
Hi,

On 01-06-19 00:15, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2019, Dave Hansen wrote:
>
>> On 5/29/19 2:17 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Dave, can you try building your initrd without the hid-logitech-dj module
>>> included in the initrd?
>>
>> I did this on a vanilla 5.2-rc2 kernel (without the reverts) and still
>> experienced the boot hang while the device was inserted.
>>
>>> Also can you check if your modprobe is provided by module-init-tools
>>> or by kmod ?
>>
>> $ dpkg -S `which modprobe`
>> kmod: /sbin/modprobe
>
> Benjamin, Hans, are you looking into this?

Not really, I cannot reproduce the request_module problem. I was hoping some
of the info from Dave would help to pinpoint it, but it does not :|

> If not, I think we should start reverting (at least the request_module()
> changes

I agree we need to do something about the request_module changes.

I myself was thinking about somehow making them conditional, e.g. we
could add a (temporary) module option defaulting to false for this
while we investigate further.

I'm afraid that if we just revert we will never find the root cause and then
we will be stuck with the suboptimal behavior of first the generic hid driver
binding followed by a unbind + bind of the new driver shortly afterwards,
which also leads to a ton of udev events being fired to userspace (well I
guess this does make for a good stress test of the userspace hotplug code).

> not sure about the rest of logitech issues yet) next week.

The main problem seems to be the request_module patches. Although I also
have 2 reports of problems with hid-logitech-dj driving the 0xc52f product-id,
so we may need to drop that product-id from hid-logitech-dj, I'm working on
that one...

Regards,

Hans

  Last update: 2019-06-03 11:17    [W:0.090 / U:0.156 seconds]