SubjectRe: [RFC] Deadlock via recursive wakeup via RCU with threadirqs
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 03:24:07PM -0400, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 11:52:19AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> Are you concerned also about a regular process context executing in the
> scheduler and using RCU, having this issue?
> (not anything with threaded or not threaded IRQs, but just a path in the
> scheduler that uses RCU).
>
> I don't think Sebastian's lock up has to do with the fact that an interrupt
> is threaded or not, except that ksoftirqd is awakened in the case where
> threadirqs is passed.

In current -rcu, the checks should suffice in the absence of threaded
interrupts. They might also suffice for threaded interrupts, but a more
direct approach would be better, hence the in_interrupt() patch.

> > > For some reason it does not trigger as good as it did yesterday.
> >
> > I swear that I wasn't watching!!! ;-)
> >
> > But I do know that feeling.
>
> :-)
>
> > > Commit
> > > - 23634ebc1d946 ("rcu: Check for wakeup-safe conditions in
> > > rcu_read_unlock_special()") does not trigger the bug within 94
> > > attempts.
> > >
> > > - 48d07c04b4cc1 ("rcu: Enable elimination of Tree-RCU softirq
> > > processing") needed 12 attempts to trigger the bug.
> >
> > That matches my belief that 23634ebc1d946 ("rcu: Check for wakeup-safe
> > conditions in rcu_read_unlock_special()") will at least greatly decrease
> > the probability of this bug occurring.
>
> I was just typing a reply that I can't reproduce it with:
> rcu: Check for wakeup-safe conditions in rcu_read_unlock_special()
>
> I am trying to revert enough of this patch to see what would break things,
> however I think a better exercise might be to understand more what the patch
> does why it fixes things in the first place ;-) It is probably the
> deferred_qs thing.

The deferred_qs flag is part of it! Looking forward to hearing what
you come up with as being the critical piece of this commit.

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2019-06-28 22:05    [W:0.309 / U:0.176 seconds]