SubjectRe: [tip:sched/core] sched/isolation: Require a present CPU in housekeeping mask
Frederic Weisbecker's on May 8, 2019 10:35 am:
> On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 09:50:24AM +1000, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
>> Frederic Weisbecker's on May 7, 2019 1:16 am:

>> > But then what if cpu_up() fails? In this case I can think of only two
>> > answers:
>> >
>> > * Force the boot CPU as the housekeeper.
>> > * Rollback the whole thing: nohz and all isolation.
>>
>> If cpu_up fails despite being in the present map and we explicitly
>> selected it as the housekeeper? I think it would be okay to print
>> a message telling admin to correct the config, and panic.
>>
>> We try a best effort to make the system boot and limp along, but if
>> you misconfigure it, crashing is not unreasonable. There's lots of
>> command line option misconfiguration that will cause the same thing.
>>
>> The primary problem with my patch that needs to be addressed is that
>> the error is not explicitly caught and printed if the housekeeper
>> does not come up, so the system might die in non-obvious ways.
>
> I usually reserve panic and BUG_ON() to last resort when data integrity is
> directly threatened. But indeed I guess that's all we have for now.

Right, specifying a CPU for housekeeping that excluded from coming
up at boot with maxcpus= or whatever, is not such a big deal to
panic I think. Just need to have a clear error message.

> If we take that path, I'd rather not call that cpu_up() and simply panic if
> the given CPU happens not to be online after SMP bootup.

Sure that's fine by me too.

Thanks,
Nick

  Last update: 2019-05-08 03:38    [W:0.078 / U:0.272 seconds]