SubjectRe: Can a recipients rights under GNU GPL be revoked? - Bradley M. Kuhn is not an attorney (he should go get his JD and get licensed).
> of the GPL.  (And Bradley Kuhn is a lawyer -- my older mind can't
> remember if
> he was the lawyer who argued (and lost) a previous free software case
> (don't
> remember the details) in front of the US Supreme Court. (Sometimes
> referred

rhkramer@gmail.com:
Bradley M. Kuhn is not an attorney, which is why he had to step down as
head
of his organization and hire a lawyer to head the organization
in his place: Bar rules do not allow lawyers to serve under a non-lawyer
in
an organization, and the organization was essentially a pro-bono law
firm
(which really needed a attorney in it's ranks...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_M._Kuhn

Yes the "oh I just stepped down because we need a woman to head this
organization
now" claim he makes is, in fact, disingenuous. What they needed is a
lawyer in
the organization: and the lawyer could not be directed by non-lawyers.

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/
> Kuhn holds a summa cum laude B.S. in Computer Science from Loyola
> University in Maryland, and an M.S. in Computer Science from the
> University of Cincinnati.

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/resume/
No J.D., No law license.

I have both.

I don't want to drag someone down, but I had to correct your mistake.
Once he applies to law school, gets his degree, and later his license
I'm sure he will correct his as well.

On 2019-01-28 00:35, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>> > investigated this subject very well. I am CC'ing him in case you'd
>> > like to request more information. So if you didn't like the Code of
>> > Conduct covertly accepted behind the scenes against your will, and
>> > maybe some other questionable political decisions in technical
>> > projects

>> I *might* go read some of the stuff by vsnsdualce, but the Weboob
>> situation
>> is not an example of a (free or GPL) license being rescinded. (You
>> didn't
>> quite say it was, but one could infer that is what you are trying to
>> say
>> by its inclusion in the same paragraph.)
>
> Ok, I went and read a few things by "vsnsdualce" re the GPL, in
> particular:
>
> http://readlist.com/lists/gentoo.org/gentoo-user/42/213256.html
>
> And from that, I went to:
>
> https://copyleft.org/guide/comprehensive-gpl-guidech8.html#x11-540007.4
>
> It seems clear that this is one of those things that I talked about in
> my
> previous last paragraph (the aside, still quoted below) -- vsnsdualce
> is
> stating his opinion / taking a position that is in opposition to the
> postions
> / opinions of other lawyers.
>
> I don't know how far he is willing to go to try to confirm his
> position, but
> until a court case or something similar (and probably appeals) decides
> the
> issue, there are two opinions.
>
> If I had to guess / be which would prevail, I would bet on the side of
> copyleft.org who, in a way are the successors (mcow) to the original
> author(s)
> of the GPL. (And Bradley Kuhn is a lawyer -- my older mind can't
> remember if
> he was the lawyer who argued (and lost) a previous free software case
> (don't
> remember the details) in front of the US Supreme Court. (Sometimes
> referred
> to as "the supremes", but they don't really sing that well (well, to be
> fair,
> I guess I never heard them sing ;-)
>
> Even if he was the guy that lost that case (I'm fairly sure it was
> someone
> else), he is certainly a very experienced lawyer, and very familiar
> with the
> issues around this license. I would trust his opinion more that I
> would
> "vsnsdualce"'s.

>> Just another aside: One of my takes on lawyers is that they interpret
>> laws
>> and take legal positions for various reasons, often to further their
>> own
>> or their client's interests, and then are willing to fight the legal
>> battle that may ensue. A lawyer expressing an opinion does not make

  Last update: 2019-05-05 07:01    [W:0.065 / U:0.052 seconds]