SubjectRe: Nested events with zero deltas, can use absolute timestamps instead?
On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 8:25 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:

> > > I don't think that's confusing if its well documented. Have the user
> > > flag called "force_absolute_timestamps", that way it's not something
> > > that the user will think that we wont have absolute timestamps if it is
> > > zero. Have the documentation say:
> > >
> > > Various utilities within the tracing system require that the ring
> > > buffer uses absolute timestamps. But you may force the ring buffer to
> > > always use it, which will give you unique timings with nested tracing
> > > at the cost of more usage in the ring buffer.
> > >
> > > -- Steve
> >
> > Ah, I was thinking of doing this within the existing timestamp_mode
> > config file. Having a separate file does make it much less confusing.
>
> Not a separate file, but a new tracing option.
>
> -- Steve

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. By new tracing option do you mean a new
option in the timestamp_mode file? I guess in that case would that
still be the only writable option? You could write 1/0 to the file
which would turn on/off force_absolute_timestamps, and reading the
file would show which of absolute, delta, and force_absolute was set?
Or did you mean something else by tracing option?

  Last update: 2019-05-24 17:49    [W:0.043 / U:0.408 seconds]