SubjectRe: [RFC 0/4] TI camera serdes - I2C address translation draft
Em Tue,  8 Jan 2019 23:39:49 +0100
Luca Ceresoli <luca@lucaceresoli.net> escreveu:

> [...]
> `-----' |
> Slave Y @ 0x10
>
> A = "local" bus
> B = "remote" bus 0
> C = "remote" bus 1
>
> In patch 2 I enriched the i2c-mux to also act as an ATR. However the
> implementation grew larger than I desired, so now I think it would
> make sense to leave i2c-mux as is, and add a new i2c-atr.c which has
> ATR features without much of the MUX code. However the implementation
> would not change too much, so you can look at i2c-mux to see how I
> implemented the ATR.
>
> In the ATR (i2c-mux.c) I implemented the logic needed to remap slave
> addresses according to a table. Choosing appropriate aliases and
> filling that table is driver-specific, so in this case it is done by
> ds90ub954.c. The ATR driver needs to know when a new client appears on
> the remote bus to setup translation and when it gets disconnected to
> undo it. So I added a callback pair, attach_client and detach_client,
> from i2c-core to i2c-mux and from there to the ATR driver. When
> getting the callback the ATR driver chooses an alias to be used on the
> local bus for the new chip, configures the ATR (perhaps setting some
> registers) returns the alias back to the ATR which sill add the new
> chip-alias pair to its table. The ATR (i2c-mux) then will do the
> translation for each message, so that the alias will be used on the
> local bus and the physical chip address on the remote bus.
>
> The alias address for a new client is chosen from an alias pool that
> must be defined in device tree. It is the responsibility of the DT
> writer to fill the pool with addresses that are otherwise unused on
> the local bus. The pool could not be filled automatically because
> there might be conflicting chips on the local bus that are unknown to
> the software, or that are just connected later.
>
> The alias pool and the mapping done at runtime allow to model
> different camera modules [or display or other modules] similarly to
> beaglebone capes or rpi hats, up to a model where:
>
> 1. there can be different camera modules being designed over time
> 2. there can be different base boards being designed over time
> 3. there is a standard interconnection between them (mechanical,
> electrical, communication bus)
> 4. camera modules and base boards are designed and sold independently
> (thanks to point 3)
>
> The implementation is split in the following patches:
> * Patch 1 adds the attach_client() and detach_client() callbacks to
> i2c-core
> * Patch 2 adds similar callbacks for the use of device drivers and,
> most importantly, implements the ATR engine
> * Patch 3 adds a farily complete DT bindings document, including the
> alias map
> * Patch 4 adds the DS90UB954-Q1 dual deserializer driver
>
> There is no serializer driver here. The one I have is just a skeleton
> setting a few registers, just enough to work on the deserializer

Not sure what to do here... I guess I'll just mark the patches as
RFC at media patchwork, as someone has to need support for it and need
to finish its implementation.

> Each patch has an comprehensive list of open issues.
>
> [0] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-gpio/msg33291.html
> [1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg142367.html
>
> Regards,
> --
> Luca
>

> Luca Ceresoli (4):
> i2c: core: let adapters be notified of client attach/detach
> i2c: mux: notify client attach/detach, add ATR
> media: dt-bindings: add DS90UB954-Q1 video deserializer
> media: ds90ub954: new driver for TI DS90UB954-Q1 video deserializer
>
> .../bindings/media/ti,ds90ub954-q1.txt | 151 ++
> drivers/i2c/i2c-core-base.c | 16 +
> drivers/i2c/i2c-mux.c | 218 ++-
> drivers/i2c/muxes/i2c-mux-pca954x.c | 2 +-
> drivers/media/Kconfig | 1 +
> drivers/media/Makefile | 2 +-
> drivers/media/serdes/Kconfig | 13 +
> drivers/media/serdes/Makefile | 1 +
> drivers/media/serdes/ds90ub954.c | 1335 +++++++++++++++++
> include/linux/i2c-mux.h | 20 +-
> include/linux/i2c.h | 9 +
> create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/ti,ds90ub954-q1.txt
> create mode 100644 drivers/media/serdes/Kconfig
> create mode 100644 drivers/media/serdes/Makefile
> create mode 100644 drivers/media/serdes/ds90ub954.c

Thanks,
Mauro

  Last update: 2019-05-21 19:41    [W:0.068 / U:0.012 seconds]