SubjectRe: [RFC Patch] perf_event: fix a cgroup switch warning
On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 5:32 AM Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 05:27:47PM -0700, Cong Wang wrote:
> > We have been consistently triggering the warning
> > WARN_ON_ONCE(cpuctx->cgrp) in perf_cgroup_switch() for a rather
> > long time, although we still have no clue on how to reproduce it.
> >
> > Looking into the code, it seems the only possibility here is that
> > the process calling perf_event_open() with a cgroup target exits
> > before the process in the target cgroup exits but after it gains
> > CPU to run. This is because we use the atomic counter
> > perf_cgroup_events as an indication of whether cgroup perf event
> > has enabled or not, which is inaccurate, illustrated as below:
> >
> > CPU 0 CPU 1
> > // open perf events with a cgroup
> > // target for all CPU's
> > perf_event_open():
> > account_event_cpu()
> > // perf_cgroup_events == 1
> > // Schedule in a process in the target cgroup
> > perf_cgroup_switch()
> > perf_event_release_kernel():
> > unaccount_event_cpu()
> > // perf_cgroup_events == 0
> > // schedule out
> > // but perf_cgroup_sched_out() is skipped
> > // cpuctx->cgrp left as non-NULL
>
> which implies we observed:
> 'perf_cgroup_events == 0'
>
> > // schedule in another process
> > perf_cgroup_switch() // WARN triggerred
>
> which implies we observed:
> 'perf_cgroup_events == 1'
>

> Which is impossible. It _might_ have been possible if the out and in
> happened on different CPUs. But then I'm not sure that is enough to
> trigger the problem.

Good catch, but this just needs one more perf_event_open(),
right? :)

> > The proposed fix is kinda ugly,
>
> Yes :-)
>
> > Suggestions? Thoughts?
>
> At perf_event_release time, when it is the last cgroup event, there
> should not be any cgroup events running anymore, so ideally
> perf_cgroup_switch() would not set state.
>
> Furthermore; list_update_cgroup_event() will actually clear cpuctx->cgrp
> on removal of the last cgroup event.

Ah, yes, this probably explains why it is harder to trigger than I expected.

> Also; perf_cgroup_switch() will WARN when there are not in fact any
> cgroup events at all. I would expect that WARN to trigger too in your
> scneario. But you're not seeing that?

Not sure if I follow you, but if there is no cgroup event, cgrp_cpuctx_list
should be empty, right?

From the stack traces I can't tell, what I can tell is that we use cgroup
events in most cases.

> I do however note that that check seems racy; we do that without holding
> the ctx_lock.

Hmm? perf_ctx_lock() is taken in perf_cgroup_switch(), so I think locking
is fine.

Thanks.

  Last update: 2019-05-14 20:09    [W:0.048 / U:0.216 seconds]