SubjectRe: WARNING in percpu_ref_kill_and_confirm
On 4/22/19 10:32 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 4/22/19 10:27 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> [ Crossed emails ]
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 9:23 AM Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the below should fix this. Very early versions of io_uring didn't
>>> have this issue, since we did the percpu ref tryget for io_uring_register().
>>
>> Ok, so I like your patch better than mine, but note how syzbot
>> bisected this to the initial merge of the io_uring code.
>
> Yes, I did think about that too...
>
>> I agree that code shouldn't have had this particular issue, but it
>> looks like it does.
>>
>> Is there some way to race with io_ring_ctx_wait_and_kill(), which
>> _also_ does that ref_kill() thing? I'm not seeing how that could
>> happen, but maybe if the file ref counts get screwed up you have
>> ->release() called early..
>
> I just tried on the current code and it triggers easily, but that's
> with that mutex patch in there. I agree it should not trigger before
> that, unless something is wonky. I'll try and play around with it a bit
> and see what is going on (or if I can trigger it at all with the mutex
> change reverted).

With the mutex change in, I can trigger it in a second or so. Just ran
the reproducer with that change reverted, and I'm not seeing any badness.
So I do wonder if the bisect results are accurate?

I think the dying check should cover it, and then marked with fixing
that mutex commit.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2019-04-22 18:39    [W:0.073 / U:0.520 seconds]