SubjectRe: Device Description for FPGA Components on x86 system
Date
Hi Alan,

thanks for your answer

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:21:09 PM CEST Alan Tull wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 7:50 AM Federico Vaga <federico.vaga@cern.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Federico,
>
> I wish I could point you to a complete solution, but there is a lot of
> work to be done in this area. Most of what is in the kernel is a low
> level in-kernel API [4]. As you correctly state, the hardest part of
> this is doing the enumerating if you are on x86 and aren't using
> devicetree.
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > P.S. sorry if I'm too verbose, hopefully it is useful
> >
> > thanks for the answer
> >
> > On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:30:14 PM CEST Eric Schwarz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > everything you want is already available and on the way to mainline
> > > concerning support for various FPGA loading modes or available for
> > > checkout from a git repository.
> > > All that has already been discussed on the mailing list.
> > >
> > > FPGA loading interface is available here [1].
> > > Patchset missing for FPGA loading has been sent to the mailing list from
> > > Anatolij Gustschin for various Linux kernel versions. Link to the most
> > > recent patchset version [2].
> > > FPGA Manager mailing list archive link [3] - Please read up the story
> > > here around those patches and also the replies of the others.
> >
> > This does not answer the problem, which perhaps need to be clarified.

> > achieve because it is a pre-requirement for the real problem and because
> > the two processes are linked (or could be).
> >
> > I continue by commenting myself below, trying to make the use case
> > clearer.
> >
> > > Cheers
> > > Eric
> > >
> > > [1] https://github.com/vdsao/fpga-cfg
> > > [2] https://marc.info/?l=linux-fpga&m=155078072107199&w=2
> > > [3] https://marc.info/?l=linux-fpga

> > Let me first elaborate on my knowledge to avoid misunderstandings.
> >
> > On ARM, nowadays, we boot with a device tree. Later we program an FPGA in
> > which there are other devices described by a device tree overlay. This can
> > be done easily.
> >
> > A typical PC (x86/x86_64) does not boot with DeviceTree (it is possible,
> > but it is not common and probably not even suggested, not sure), instead
> > it uses ACPI.
>
> I have heard it suggested that we work on using DT overlays on x86*.
> It's clear there's work to be done to make that work. I don't know if
> anybody has really tried. It seems impractical to map or translate a
> x86 systems ACPI into a DT and go from there.

> One suggestion a few
> years ago was adding a partial DT that had nodes that could serve as
> overlay targets and have that running in parallel with ACPI.

This is also one of my ideas for a solution to our problems. Are you able to
easily retrieve that conversation? Perhaps this is something on which I can
work on.

> > The FPGA Manager has support only for DeviceTree (there are patching
> > floating around to load a bitstream with configfs, debugfs or a
> > chardevice (guilty))
> There's one other interface in the kernel upstream. The DFL (device
> feature list) framework built on the FPGA manager/bridge/region stuff
> [5]. It's probably not what you specifically are looking for, I'm
> mentioning as it exists in upstream. It has a limited type of
> enumeration and appears to mostly be geared for acceleration rather
> than adding and enumerating any random hardware block. Also it
> requires specific bitstreams as the feature list is in fpga fabric.
>
> > Most drivers foresee a DeviceTree loading but not an ACPI one (my feeling,
> > I did not extract exact numbers from the sources)
> >
> > DeviceTree overlay requires that the system boots with DeviceTree.
> >
> > DeviceTree and ACPI do not work together
> >
> > So, this is the state of art that I am aware of. Correct me if, and where,
> > I am wrong.
> >

> > Restarting from this point. I have a PC (x86_64) with a PCIe FPGA card
> > (e.g. sis8160, spec, links below). How to load the FPGA bitstream (not
> > really a problem as you correctly pointed out) **and** load all the
> > IP-core instances in that FPGA bitstream so that drivers will start
> > running?
> >
> > - Is there a recommendation for such use case?
> > - ACPI SSDT overlay?
> > - DT overlay?
> > - is there a standard way to load FPGA IP-core devices which is
> > architecture independent?
> >
> > A simple and practical example. The i2c-ocore.c is a platform_driver for
> > an
> > HDL I2C Master from open cores. I synthesize it and then load it on the
> > FPGA. How to create the Linux platform_device instance to driver that
> > IP-core? How to do that when you have also IRQ controller(s), DMA
> > engine(s), EEPROM(s) and other devices?
> >
> > The fastest solution is to do what was common on ARM systems: having all
> > platform devices declared (hard coded) in a file and load them. Which is
> > not a good solution, for the same reasons why arm stuff moved to
> > devicetree.
> >
> > Is it clearer?
> >
> > I do not know if it important to highlight but those cards are extensible,
> > potentially any FMC module could be plugged and this needs a different
> > FPGA, with different FPGA devices etc. So, It is not possible to hardcode
> > the description of all possible FPGA code (infinite) that can enable the
> > usage of all possible FMC module (not infinite, but definitively grater
> > than 1)
> >

> > https://www.struck.de/sis8160.html
> > https://ohwr.org/project/spec/wikis/home

> Thanks,
> Alan
>
> [4] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/driver-api/fpga/index.html
> [5] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/fpga/dfl.txt

  Last update: 2019-04-10 17:14    [W:0.131 / U:0.644 seconds]