SubjectRe: On guest free page hinting and OOM
On 01.04.19 16:47, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 04:11:42PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
>>> The interesting thing is most probably: Will the hinting size usually be
>>> reasonable small? At least I guess a guest with 4TB of RAM will not
>>> suddenly get a hinting size of hundreds of GB. Most probably also only
>>> something in the range of 1GB. But this is an interesting question to
>>> look into.
>>>
>>> Also, if the admin does not care about performance implications when
>>> already close to hinting, no need to add the additional 1Gb to the ram size.
>>
>> "close to OOM" is what I meant.
>
> Problem is, host admin is the one adding memory. Guest admin is
> the one that knows about performance.

If we think about guest admins only caring about performance, then a
guest admin owill unloads virtio-balloon module to

a) get all the memory available (inflated memory returned to the guest)
b) not use hinting :)

But I get your idea. One side wants hinting, other side has to agree.

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb

  Last update: 2019-04-01 16:56    [W:0.067 / U:7.328 seconds]