SubjectRe: [RFC dma-buf 0/3] Improve the dma-buf tracking
Hi Daniel,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 16:36, Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:49 PM Sumit Semwal <sumit.semwal@linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Chenbo,Thank you for your RFC series.
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 09:24, Chenbo Feng <fengc@google.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Currently, all dma-bufs share the same anonymous inode. While we can count
> > > how many dma-buf fds or mappings a process has, we can't get the size of
> > > the backing buffers or tell if two entries point to the same dma-buf. And
> > > in debugfs, we can get a per-buffer breakdown of size and reference count,
> > > but can't tell which processes are actually holding the references to each
> > > buffer.
> > >
> > > To resolve the issue above and provide better method for userspace to track
> > > the dma-buf usage across different processes, the following changes are
> > > proposed in dma-buf kernel side. First of all, replace the singleton inode
> > > inside the dma-buf subsystem with a mini-filesystem, and assign each
> > > dma-buf a unique inode out of this filesystem. With this change, calling
> > > stat(2) on each entry gives the caller a unique ID (st_ino), the buffer's
> > > size (st_size), and even the number of pages assigned to each dma-buffer.
> > > Secoundly, add the inode information to /sys/kernel/debug/dma_buf/bufinfo
> > > so in the case where a buffer is mmap()ed into a process’s address space
> > > but all remaining fds have been closed, we can still get the dma-buf
> > > information and try to accociate it with the process by searching the
> > > proc/pid/maps and looking for the corresponding inode number exposed in
> > > dma-buf debug fs. Thirdly, created an ioctl to assign names to dma-bufs
> > > which lets userspace assign short names (e.g., "CAMERA") to buffers. This
> > > information can be extremely helpful for tracking and accounting shared
> > > buffers based on their usage and original purpose. Last but not least, add
> > > dma-buf information to /proc/pid/fdinfo by adding a show_fdinfo() handler
> > > to dma_buf_file_operations. The handler will print the file_count and name
> > > of each buffer.
> >
> > In general, I think I like the idea as it contributes to a much more
> > relevant usage analysis of dma-buf backed buffers.
> > I will get to doing a more detailed review soon, but immediately, we
> > might want to think a bit about the get/set_name IOCTLS - do we need
> > to think of disallowing multiple renaming of buffers once they start
> > getting used? It could otherwise make the whole metrics a lot
> > confused?
> >

> > > Greg Hackmann (3):
> > > dma-buf: give each buffer a full-fledged inode
> > > dma-buf: add DMA_BUF_{GET,SET}_NAME ioctls
> > > dma-buf: add show_fdinfo handler
>
> I'm not seeing the patches, so just quick comment here: Some drivers
> (at least vc4) already have the concept of buffer names. Would be neat
> to integrate this between dma-buf and drm_gem in prime.

FYI, here's the patch series - https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/57282/

Best,
Sumit.

--
Thanks and regards,

Sumit Semwal
Linaro Consumer Group - Kernel Team Lead
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

  Last update: 2019-03-18 17:18    [W:0.053 / U:0.864 seconds]