SubjectRe: [RFC v1 3/3] cap11xx: fix potential user-after-free on module unload
On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 12:18:46AM -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 05:09:52PM -0500, Sven Van Asbroeck wrote:
> > The work which is scheduled by led_classdev->brightness_set() is
> > potentially left pending or running until after the driver module
> > is unloaded.
> >
> > Fix by using resource-controlled version of INIT_WORK().
>
> I believe this is wrong way of fixing this. The LED classdev objects are
> refcounted, and may live beyond the point where we unwibd devm stack,
> so we are still left with the same use-after-free that we currently
> have.

Hmm, I take it back, it looks like the lifetime of the outer structure
is limited to the time while driver is bound. I still wonder if using
set_brightness_blocking() would be better fix?

--
Dmitry

  Last update: 2019-02-05 09:35    [W:0.110 / U:2.520 seconds]