SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch v8 0/7] KVM: Guest Free Page Hinting
Date
On 2/18/19 3:31 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> It bothers me that we are now tied to interface being synchronous. We
>>> won't be able to fix it if there's an issue as that would break guests.
>> I assume with "fix it" you mean "fix kfree taking longer on every X call"?
>>
>> Yes, as I initially wrote, this mimics s390x. That might be good (we
>> know it has been working for years) and bad (we are inheriting the same
>> problem class, if it exists). And being synchronous is part of the
>> approach for now.
> BTW on s390 are these hypercalls handled by Linux?
>
>> I tend to focus on the first part (we don't know anything besides it is
>> working) while you focus on the second part (there could be a potential
>> problem). Having a real problem at hand would be great, then we would
>> know what exactly we actually have to fix. But read below.
> If we end up doing a hypercall per THP, maybe we could at least
> not block with interrupts disabled? Poll in guest until
> hypervisor reports its done? That would already be an
> improvement IMHO. E.g. perf within guest will point you
> in the right direction and towards disabling hinting.

>>> For the buffer to be used, yes. And it could mean putting some pages
>>> aside until hypervisor is done with them. Then you don't need timers or
>>> tricks like this, you can get an interrupt and start using the memory.
>> I am very open to such an approach as long as we can make it work and it
>> is not too complicated. (-> simple)
>>
>> This would mean for example
>>
>> 1. Collect entries to be reported per VCPU in a buffer. Say magic number
>> 256/512.
>>
>> 2. Once the buffer is full, do crazy "take pages out of the balloon
>> action" and report them to the hypervisor via virtio. Let the VCPU
>> continue. This will require some memory to store the request. Small
>> hickup for the VCPU to kick of the reporting to the hypervisor.
>>
>> 3. On interrupt/response, go over the response and put the pages back to
>> the buddy.
>>
>> (assuming that reporting a bulk of frees is better than reporting every
>> single free obviously)
>>
>> This could allow nice things like "when OOM gets trigger, see if pages
>> are currently being reported and wait until they have been put back to
>> the buddy, return "new pages available", so in a real "low on memory"
>> scenario, no OOM killer would get involved. This could address the issue
>> Wei had with reporting when low on memory.
>>
>> Is that something you have in mind?
> Yes that seems more future proof I think.
>
>> I assume we would have to allocate
>> memory when crafting the new requests. This is the only reason I tend to
>> prefer a synchronous interface for now. But if allocation is not a
>> problem, great.
> There are two main ways to avoid allocation:
> 1. do not add extra data on top of each chunk passed
If I am not wrong then this is close to what we have right now.
One issue I see right now is that I am polling while host is freeing the
memory.
In the next version I could tie the logic which returns pages to the
buddy and resets the per cpu array index value to 0 with the callback.
(i.e.., it happens once we receive an response from the host)
Other change which I am testing right now is to only capture 'MAX_ORDER
- 1' pages.

--
Regards
Nitesh

  Last update: 2019-02-18 21:41    [W:0.440 / U:0.172 seconds]