SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch v8 0/7] KVM: Guest Free Page Hinting

>>> Yes, it is an implementation detail. I think DONTNEED would be easier
>>> for the first step.

>>> I meant this:
>>> With this approach, essentially the free pages have 2 states:
>>> ready free page: the page is on the free list and it has "1" in the bitmap
>>> non-ready free page: the page is on the free list and it has "0" in the bitmap
>>> Ready free pages are those who can be allocated to use.
>>> Non-ready free pages are those who are in progress of being reported to
>>> host and the related EPT mapping is about to be zapped.
>>>
>>> The non-ready pages are inserted into the report_vq and waiting for the
>>> host to zap the mappings one by one. After the mapping gets zapped
>>> (which means the backing host page has been taken away), host acks to
>>> the guest to mark the free page as ready free page (set the bit to 1 in the bitmap).
>>
>> Yes, that's how I understood your approach. The interesting part is
>> where somebody finds a buddy page and wants to allocate it.
>>

>>> So the non-ready free page may happen to be used when they are waiting in
>>> the report_vq to be handled by the host to zap the mapping, balloon could
>>> have a fast path to notify the host:
>>> "page 0x1000 is about to be used, don’t zap the mapping when you get
>>> 0x1000 from the report_vq" /*option [1] */
>>
>> This requires coordination and in any case there will be a scenario
>> where you have to wait for the hypervisor to eventually finish a madv
>> call. You can just try to make that scenario less likely.
>>
>> What you propose is synchronous in the worst case. Getting pages of the
>> buddy makes it possible to have it done completely asynchronous. Nobody
>> allocating a page has to wait.
>>

>>> Or
>>>
>>> "page 0x1000 is about to be used, please zap the mapping NOW, i.e. do 3) and 4) above,
>>> so that the free page will be marked as ready free page and the guest can use it".
>>> This option will generate an extra EPT violation and QEMU page fault to get a new host
>>> page to back the guest ready free page.
>>
>> Again, coordination with the hypervisor while allocating a page. That is
>> to be avoided in any case.

>>> This only happens when the guest thread happens to get allocated on a page which is
>>> being reported to the host. Using option [1] above will avoid this.
>>
>> I think getting pages out of the buddy system temporarily is the only
>> way we can avoid somebody else stumbling over a page currently getting
>> reported by the hypervisor. Otherwise, as I said, there are scenarios
>> where a allocating VCPU has to wait for the hypervisor to finish the
>> "freeing" task. While you can try to "speedup" that scenario -
>> "hypervisor please prioritize" you cannot avoid it. There will be busy
>> waiting.
>
> Right - there has to be waiting. But it does not have to be busy -
> if you can defer page use until interrupt, that's one option.
> Further if you are ready to exit to hypervisor it does not have to be
> [...]

Of course, you can always yield to the hypervisor and not call it busy
waiting. From the guest point of view, it is busy waiting. The VCPU is
to making progress. If I am not wrong, one can easily construct examples
where all VCPUs in the guest are waiting for the hypervisor to
madv(dontneed) pages. I don't like that approach

Especially if temporarily getting pages out of the buddy resolves these
issues and seems to work.

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb

  Last update: 2019-02-13 19:01    [W:0.205 / U:0.324 seconds]