SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch v8 0/7] KVM: Guest Free Page Hinting
On 12.02.19 18:24, Nitesh Narayan Lal wrote:

> On 2/12/19 4:24 AM, David Hildenbrand wrote:

>>> Hi Nitesh,
>>>
>>> Have you guys thought about something like below, which would be simpler:
>> Responding because I'm the first to stumble over this mail, hah! :)
>>
>>> - use bitmaps to record free pages, e.g. xbitmap: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/9/304.
>>> The bitmap can be indexed by the guest pfn, and it's globally accessed by all the CPUs;
>> Global means all VCPUs will be competing potentially for a single lock
>> when freeing/allocating a page, no? What if you have 64VCPUs
>> allocating/freeing memory like crazy?
>>
>> (I assume some kind of locking is required even if the bitmap would be
>> atomic. Also, doesn't xbitmap mean that we eventually have to allocate
>> memory at places where we don't want to - e.g. from arch_free_page ?)
>>
>> That's the big benefit of taking the pages of the buddy free list. Other
>> VCPUs won't stumble over them, waiting for them to get freed in the
>> hypervisor.
>>
>>> - arch_free_page(): set the bits of the freed pages from the bitmap
>>> (no per-CPU array with hardcoded fixed length and no per-cpu scanning thread)
>>> - arch_alloc_page(): clear the related bits from the bitmap
>>> - expose 2 APIs for the callers:
>>> -- unsigned long get_free_page_hints(unsigned long pfn_start, unsigned int nr);
>>> This API searches for the next free page chunk (@nr of pages), starting from @pfn_start.
>>> Bits of those free pages will be cleared after this function returns.
>>> -- void put_free_page_hints(unsigned long pfn_start, unsigned int nr);
>>> This API sets the @nr continuous bits starting from pfn_start.
>>>
>>> Usage example with balloon:
>>> 1) host requests to start ballooning;
>>> 2) balloon driver get_free_page_hints and report the hints to host via report_vq;
>>> 3) host calls madvise(pfn_start, DONTNEED) for each reported chunk of free pages and put back pfn_start to ack_vq;
> [...]
>> This sounds more like "the host requests to get free pages once in a
>> while" compared to "the host is always informed about free pages". At
>> the time where the host actually has to ask the guest (e.g. because the
>> host is low on memory), it might be to late to wait for guest action.
>> Nitesh uses MADV_FREE here (as far as I recall :) ), to only mark pages
>> as candidates for removal and if the host is low on memory, only
>> scanning the guest page tables is sufficient to free up memory.
>>
>> But both points might just be an implementation detail in the example
>> you describe.
>>
>>> In above 2), get_free_page_hints clears the bits which indicates that those pages are not ready to be used by the guest yet. Why?
>>> This is because 3) will unmap the underlying physical pages from EPT. Normally, when guest re-visits those pages, EPT violations and QEMU page faults will get a new host page to set up the related EPT entry. If guest uses that page before the page gets unmapped (i.e. right before step 3), no EPT violation happens and the guest will use the same physical page that will be unmapped and given to other host threads. So we need to make sure that the guest free page is usable only after step 3 finishes.
>>>
>>> Back to arch_alloc_page(), it needs to check if the allocated pages have "1" set in the bitmap, if that's true, just clear the bits. Otherwise, it means step 2) above has happened and step 4) hasn't been reached. In this case, we can either have arch_alloc_page() busywaiting a bit till 4) is done for that page
>>> Or better to have a balloon callback which prioritize 3) and 4) to make this page usable by the guest.
>> Regarding the latter, the VCPU allocating a page cannot do anything if
>> the page (along with other pages) is just being freed by the hypervisor.
>> It has to busy-wait, no chance to prioritize.
>>
>>> Using bitmaps to record free page hints don't need to take the free pages off the buddy list and return them later, which needs to go through the long allocation/free code path.
>>>
>> Yes, but it means that any process is able to get stuck on such a page
>> for as long as it takes to report the free pages to the hypervisor and
>> for it to call madvise(pfn_start, DONTNEED) on any such page.
>>
>> Nice idea, but I think we definitely need something the can potentially
>> be implemented per-cpu without any global locks involved.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>> Best,
>>> Wei
>>>
> Hi Wei,
>
> For your comment, I agree with David. If we have one global per-cpu, we
> will have to acquire a lock.
> Also as David mentioned the idea is to derive the hints from the guest,
> rather than host asking for free pages.
>
> However, I am wondering if having per-cpu bitmaps is possible?
> Using this I can possibly get rid of the fixed array size issue.

I assume we will have problems with dynamically sized bitmaps - memory
has to be allocated. Similar to a dynamically sized list.

But it is definitely worth investigating.

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb

  Last update: 2019-02-12 20:35    [W:1.181 / U:1.440 seconds]