SubjectRE: recvfrom/recvmsg performance and CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY
Date
From: David Laight
> Sent: 06 December 2019 13:40
> Some tests I've done seem to show that recvmsg() is much slower that recvfrom()
> even though most of what they do is the same.
> One thought is that the difference is all the extra copy_from_user() needed by
> recvmsg. CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY can add a significant cost.
>
> I've built rebuilt my 5.4-rc7 kernel with all the copy_to/from_user() in net/socket.c
> replaced with the '_' prefixed versions (that don't call check_object()).
> And also changed rw_copy_check_uvector() in fs/read_write.c.
> Anyway using PERF_COUNT_HW_CPU_CYCLES I've got the following
> histograms for the number of cycles in each recv call.
> There are about the same number (2.8M) in each column over
> an elapsed time of 20 seconds.
> There are 450 active UDP sockets, each receives 1 message every 20ms.
> Every 10ms a RT thread that is pinned to a cpu reads all the pending messages.
> This is a 4 core hyperthreading (8 cpu) system.
> During these tests 5 other threads are also busy.
> There are no sends (on those sockets).

I've repeated the measurements with HT disabled.
The initial peak in the previous data will be running against an idle cpu.
The second peak when the other cpu is doing work.

I've also expanded the vertical scale.
(My histogram code uses 64 buckets.)

| recvfrom | recvmsg
cycles | unhard | hard | unhard | hard
1504: 1 0 0 0
1568: 255 3 0 0
1632: 15266 473 83 0
1696: 178767 18853 7110 1
1760: 423080 154636 123239 416
1824: 441977 410044 401895 23493
1888: 366640 508236 423648 186572
1952: 267423 431819 383269 347182
2016: 183694 305336 288347 384365
2080: 126643 191582 196172 358854
2144: 89987 116667 133757 275872
2208: 65903 73875 92185 197145
2272: 54161 52637 68537 138436
2336: 46558 43771 55740 98829
2400: 42672 40982 50058 76901
2464: 42855 42297 48429 66309
2528: 51673 44994 51165 61234
2592: 113385 107986 117982 125652
2656: 59586 57875 65416 72992
2720: 49211 47269 57081 67369
2784: 34911 31505 41435 51525
2848: 29386 24238 34025 43631
2912: 23522 17538 27094 35947
2976: 20768 14279 23747 30293
3040: 16973 12210 19851 26209
3104: 13962 10500 16625 22017
3168: 11669 9287 13922 18978
3232: 9519 8003 11773 16307
3296: 8119 6926 9993 14346
3360: 6818 5906 8532 12032
3424: 5867 5002 7241 10499
3488: 5319 4492 6107 9087
3552: 4835 3796 5625 7858
3616: 4544 3530 5270 6840
3680: 4113 3263 4845 6140
3744: 3691 2883 4315 5430
3808: 3325 2467 3798 4651
3872: 2901 2191 3412 4101
3936: 2499 1784 3127 3593
4000: 2273 1594 2636 3163
4064: 1868 1372 2231 2819
4128+: 50073 45330 51853 53752

This shows that the hardened usercopy has a significant cost in recvmsg.
All the places I changed contain explicit length checks.

I'm going to see how much of the additional cost of recvmsg is down to
the iov reading code.
A lot of code will be passing exactly one buffer, and the code to process
it is massive.

More odd is the peak at 2592 cycles in all 4 traces.
I'm having difficulty thinking of an 'artefact' that wouldn't add an offset.

David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

  Last update: 2019-12-09 16:05    [W:0.077 / U:0.312 seconds]