SubjectLinux 5.5-rc1
We've had a normal merge window, and it's now early Sunday afternoon,
and it's getting closed as has been the standard rule for a long while
now.

Everything looks fairly regular - it's a tiny bit larger (in commit
counts) than the few last merge windows have been, but not bigger
enough to really raise any eyebrows. And there's nothing particularly
odd in there either that I can think of: just a bit over half of the
patch is drivers, with the next big area being arch updates. Which is
pretty much the rule for how things have been forever by now.

Outside of that, the documentation and tooling (perf and selftests)
updates stand out, but that's actually been a common pattern for a
while now too, so it's not really surprising either. And the rest is
all the usual core stuff - filesystems, core kernel, networking, etc.

The pipe rework patches are a small drop in the ocean, but ended up
being the most painful part of the merge for me personally. They
clearly weren't quite ready, but it got fixed up and I didn't have to
revert them. There may be other problems like that that I just didn't
see and be involved in, and didn't strike me as painful as a result ;)

We're missing some VFS updates, but I think we'll have Al on it for
the next merge window. On the whole, considering that this was a big
enough release anyway, I had no problem going "we can do that later".

As usual, even the shortlog is much too large to post, and nobody
would have the energy to read through it anyway. My mergelog below
gives an overview of the top-level changes so that you can see the
different subsystems that got development. But with 12,500+ non-merge
commits, there's obviously a little bit of everything going on.

Go out and test (and special thanks to people who already did, and
started sending reports even during the merge window),

Linus

---

Al Viro (3):
autofs updates
vfs d_inode/d_flags memory ordering fixes
misc vfs cleanups

Alex Williamson (1):
VFIO updates

Alexandre Belloni (1):
RTC updates

Andreas Gruenbacher (1):
GFS2 updates

Andrew Morton (3):
updates
more updates
misc Kconfig updates

Andy Shevchenko (1):
x86 platform driver updates

Arnd Bergmann (2):
removal of most of fs/compat_ioctl.c
y2038 cleanups

Benson Leung (1):
chrome platform changes

Bjorn Andersson (3):
remoteproc updates
rpmsg updates
hwspinlock updates

Bjorn Helgaas (1):
PCI updates

Boris Brezillon (1):
i3c updates

Borislav Petkov (4):
x86 microcode updates
RAS updates
EDAC updates
RAS fix

Bruce Fields (1):
nfsd updates

Catalin Marinas (2):
arm64 updates
arm64 fixes

Christian Brauner (1):
thread management updates

Christoph Hellwig (2):
generic ioremap support
dma-mapping updates

Corey Minyard (1):
IPMI updates

Dan Williams (1):
libnvdimm updates

Daniel Thompson (1):
kgdb updates

Darrick Wong (6):
iomap updates
splice fix
XFS updates
iomap cleanups
xfs fixes
iomap fixes

Dave Airlie (3):
drm updates
drm coherent memory support for vmwgfx
more drm updates

David Howells (3):
AFS updates
pipe rework
two fixes for the pipe rework

David Miller (4):
networking updates
networking fixes
networking fixes
networking fixes

David Sterba (2):
btrfs updates
AFFS updates

Dennis Zhou (1):
percpu updates

Dmitry Torokhov (2):
input updates
more input updates

Dominik Brodowski (1):
pcmcia updates

Eric Biederman (1):
sysctl system call removal

Eric Biggers (2):
fscrypt updates
fsverity updates

Gao Xiang (1):
erofs updates

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
m68k updates

Greentime Hu (1):
nds32 updates

Greg KH (6):
USB updates
char/misc driver updates
staging / iio updates
driver core updates
tty/serial updates
SPDX fix

Greg Ungerer (1):
m68knommu update

Guenter Roeck (1):
hwmon updates

Helge Deller (1):
parisc updates

Herbert Xu (2):
crypto updates
crypto fixes

Ilya Dryomov (1):
ceph updates

Ingo Molnar (23):
x86 objtool, cleanup, and apic updates
x86 boot updates
x86 cpu and fpu updates
x86 syscall entry updates
x86 hyperv updates
x86 kdump updates
x86 mm updates
x86 platform updates
x86 PTI updates
x86 fixes
x86 asm updates
x86 iopl updates
stacktrace cleanup
EFI updates
perf updates
scheduler updates
RCU updates
locking updates
x86 merge fix
perf fixes
x86 fixes
irq updates
timer updates

Jaegeuk Kim (1):
f2fs updates

James Bottomley (2):
SCSI updates
more SCSI updates

Jan Kara (2):
ext2, quota, reiserfs cleanups and fixes
fsnotify updates

Jarkko Sakkinen (1):
tpmd updates

Jason Gunthorpe (2):
rdma updates
hmm updates

Jassi Brar (1):
mailbox updates

Jean Delvare (1):
dmi updates

Jens Axboe (10):
io_uring updates
libata updates
core block updates
block driver updates
additional block driver updates
zoned block device update
disk revalidation updates
more io_uring updates
block fixes
more block and io_uring updates

Jessica Yu (1):
modules updates

Jiri Kosina (1):
HID updates

Joerg Roedel (1):
iommu updates

John Johansen (1):
apparmor updates

Jon Mason (1):
NTB update

Jonathan Corbet (1):
Documentation updates

Juergen Gross (2):
xen updates
more xen updates

Kees Cook (2):
seccomp updates
pstore bug fix

Lee Jones (2):
backlight updates
MFD updates

Linus Walleij (3):
pin control updates
pinctrl fix
GPIO updates

Mark Brown (3):
regmap update
regulator updates
spi updates

Masahiro Yamada (1):
Kbuild updates

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (1):
media updates

Max Filippov (1):
Xtensa updates

Michael Ellerman (4):
powerpc Spectre-RSB fixes
powerpc updates
powerpc fixes
more powerpc updates

Michal Simek (1):
Microblaze updates

Mike Marshall (1):
orangefs update

Mike Snitzer (1):
device mapper updates

Miklos Szeredi (1):
fuse update

Miquel Raynal (1):
MTD updates

Olof Johansson (5):
ARM SoC platform updates
ARM SoC driver updates
ARM Device-tree updates
ARM SoC defconfig updates
ARM SoC fixes

Paolo Bonzini (2):
KVM updates
more KVM updates

Paul Burton (1):
MIPS updates

Paul Moore (2):
selinux updates
audit updates

Paul Walmsley (2):
RISC-V updates
more RISC-V updates

Pavel Machek (1):
LED updates

Petr Mladek (2):
printk updates
livepatching updates

Rafael Wysocki (5):
power management updates
ACPI updates
device properties framework updates
additional power management updates
additional ACPI updates

Richard Weinberger (2):
UBI/UBIFS/JFFS2 updates
UML updates

Rob Herring (1):
Devicetree updates

Russell King (2):
ARM updates
ARM fixes

Sasha Levin (1):
Hyper-V updates

Sebastian Reichel (1):
power supply and reset updates

Shuah Khan (2):
kselftest fixes
more kselftest fixes

Stafford Horne (1):
OpenRISC update

Stefan Richter (1):
FireWire updates

Stephen Boyd (1):
clk updates

Steve French (2):
cifs updates
cifs fixes

Steven Rostedt (2):
tracing updates
more tracing updates

Takashi Iwai (2):
sound updates
more sound updates

Ted Ts'o (1):
ext4 updates

Tejun Heo (2):
workqueue updates
cgroup updates

Thierry Reding (1):
pwm updates

Tony Luck (1):
ia64 update

Trond Myklebust (1):
NFS client updates

Ulf Hansson (1):
MMC updates

Vasily Gorbik (2):
s390 updates
more s390 updates

Vineet Gupta (1):
ARC updates

Vinod Koul (1):
dmaengine updates

Wim Van Sebroeck (1):
watchdog updates

Wolfram Sang (1):
i2c updates

Zhang Rui (1):
thermal management updates

  Last update: 2019-12-09 00:42    [W:0.065 / U:2.080 seconds]