SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] xfs: new code for 5.5
On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 03:22:31PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 10:48 AM Darrick J. Wong <djwong@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > FYI, Stephen Rothwell reported a merge conflict with the y2038 tree at
> > the end of October[1]. His resolution looked pretty straightforward,
> > though the current y2038 for-next branch no longer changes fs/ioctl.c
> > (and the changes that were in it are not in upstream master), so that
> > may not be necessary.
>
> The changes and conflicts are definitely still there (now upstream),
> I'm not sure what made you not see them. But thanks for the note, I
> compared my end result with linux-next to verify.

Aha! I pulled master yesterday morning, tried a test merge with xfs,
saw the lack of merge conflicts, and sent you the xfs pull request. A
few hours later you pulled in the compat ioctl changes from Arnd's git
tree, but the branch in his repo that feeds the -next tree doesn't
contain the compat ioctl changes, so I assumed that meant he wasn't
going to send them for 5.5... and then thought better of myself and
attached an FYI anyway.

> My resolution is different from Stephen's. All my non-x86-64 FS_IOC_*
> cases just do "goto found_handler", because the compat case is
> identical for the native case outside of the special x86-64 alignment
> behavior, and I think that's what Arnd meant to happen.

Yeah, that looks correct to me. Stephen's solution backed out the
changes that Arnd made for the !x86_64 compat ioctl case, so I or
someone would have had to re-apply them.

> There was some other minor difference too, but it's also possible I
> could have messed up, so cc'ing Stephen and Arnd on this just in case
> they have comments.

<nod> Thanks for sorting this out.

--D

> Linus

  Last update: 2019-12-03 01:01    [W:0.052 / U:9.296 seconds]