SubjectRe: [RFC v1 1/2] um: drivers: remove support for UML_NET_PCAP
On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 11:14 PM Anton Ivanov
<anton.ivanov@cambridgegreys.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/2019 00:02, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> > ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> >> Von: "Brendan Higgins" <brendanhiggins@google.com>
> >>
> >> Alright, I will send a patch out which marks the other network drivers
> >> as "obsolete".
> >>
> >> Clarification: Should I mark all UML network devices as "obsolete"
> >> except for NET_VECTOR? Daemon and MCAST looked to me (I am not a
> >> networking expert), like they might not be covered by vector.
> >
> > No. Why?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > //richard

> At least pcap and vde are maintenance issues. They do not even build today.
>
> Off the top of my head, daemon needs fixes to the switch - it has an
> O(n) performance hit for n="number of ports" as well as a few other issues.
>
> Tap has a fully functional replacement
>
> Pcap has a fully functional replacement
>
> mcast for 2 instances is functionally equivalent to running l2tp or gre
> back-to-back.
>
> IMHO we can start marking some of them as obsolete.

It looked to me like this discussion is ongoing; however, it seemed
like the discussion might be boiling down to *which* drivers should be
marked obsolete, so I decided to go ahead and send a patch which marks
everything as deprecated. I figured it would make it easier to focus
the conversation on what, if anything, should be marked obsolete:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20191210223403.244842-1-brendanhiggins@google.com/T/#u

Also, Anton, I flat out stole a bunch of your comments on this thread
to make my commit message. Just respond with the appropriate tags
(co-developed-by, etc) if you want to be credited for them. As it is,
I marked you as "suggested-by".

Cheers!

  Last update: 2019-12-10 23:41    [W:0.059 / U:0.112 seconds]