SubjectRe: [RFC 0/7] cpuidle: Add poking mechanism to support non-IPI wakeup
Date
On 06.11.2019 22:15, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 3/28/19 3:45 AM, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:

>>> This is already a common issue for cpuidle implementions handled by the
>>> "local-timer-stop" property. imx has other timer blocks in the SOC,
>>> they generate SPIs which are connected to GPC.
>>
>> It is not a common issue. The tick-broadcast mechanism relies on
>> IPIs that are sent to specific CPUs upon timer expiry.
>>
>> If IPIs don't work for CPUs in shutdown state (which is what this patch
>> is fixing AFAIU), the only reason I can see how a CPU can resume from
>> idle on a timer expiry is the GPC waking up all cores upon the global
>> timer SPI; if that's the case there is precious little point in
>> implementing CPUidle at all - too bad people worked hard to implement
>> NOHZ in a power efficient manner.

>>> Yes, cpuidle is broken for irqs not routed through GPC. However:
>>>
>>> * All SPIs are connected to GPC in a 1:1 mapping
>>> * This series deals with SGIs
>>> * The timer PPIs are not required; covered by local-timer-stop
>>> * LPIs are currently unused (I understand imx-pci uses SPI by default
>>> from Lucas)
>>>
>>> Anything missing?
>>
>> Yes, LPIs must be able to wake up CPUs and only the CPU for which
>> an IRQ is actually pending.
>>
>> >From an architectural perspective, an ARM core executing the WFI
>> instruction must resume execution upon an IRQ occurrence targeted
>> at it and that's true regardless of the idle state entered.
>>
>> Anything deviating from this behaviour is not architecture compliant.
>
> What if you enter a deeper state than WFI, which leads to the power
> gating of your CPU core, and you are missing the necessary hardware that
> should be driven from the GIC's nIRQOUT/nFIQOUT signals to automatically
> bring the core back on upon the GIC seeing a pending interrupt targeting
> that core?

imx8mq has a secondary "GPC" block which receives SPIs and can wake the
cores. Do you have something similar? Because if you only have the GIC
then that sounds much worse: you'd have to ensure that all peripheral
interrupts are routed away from sleeping cores.

On IMX only SGIs need special treatment and a newer version just
replaces __smp_cross_call in a platform-specific manner:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/6/10/350

> Would it be acceptable in that case to "help" the platform by ensuring
> that there is at least one core that is not allowed to enter the deepest
> idle state and be able to help wake back up the others? I am asking
> because I am facing a similar issue to what Abel is trying to solve here
> with ARCH_BRCMSTB platforms which do not have the ability to have their
> CPU cores wake-up on their once power gated.

Maybe you can workaround in ATF: if (last_core) wfi(); else powerdown();

But you still need special treatment for interrupts targeted at gated cores.

>>> My understanding is that this wake request feature via GIC is new in v3
>>> and this is maybe why HW team missed it during integration. Older
>>> imx6/7 has GICv2 and has deep idle states which always rely on GPC to
>>> wakeup so the approach can work.
>>
>> If HW designers really wanted to have sensible power management policy
>> in this SoC they would have paid attention, I am against patching the
>> kernel heavily to fix a platform bug.

> HW designers may not be aware of how the cpuifle framework operates or
> what its constraints are, so they may not understand that any interrupt,
> must be able to autonomously (with lack of a better name) wake-up a
> given core, given any idle state it has entered.

My understanding is that this is a requirement of GICv3 architecture.

--
Regards,
Leonard

  Last update: 2019-11-06 22:32    [W:0.104 / U:0.044 seconds]