SubjectRe: [RFC] About perf-mem command support on arm64 platform
Hi Will,

Thanks your reply firstly.

On 2019/11/4 22:26, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 05:18:00PM +0800, Shaokun Zhang wrote:
>> perf-mem is used to profile memory access which has been implemented on x86
>> platform. It needs mem-stores events and mem-loads/load-latency.
>> For mem-stores events, it is MEM_INST_RETIRED_ALL_STORES whose raw number
>> is r82d0, and mem-loads/load-latency is from PEBS if I follow its code.
>>
>> Now, for some arm64 cores, like HiSilicon's tsv110 and ARM's Neoverse N1,
>> has supported the SPE(Statistical Profiling Extensions), so is it a
>> possibility that perf-mem is supported on arm64?
>> https://developer.arm.com/ip-products/processors/neoverse/neoverse-n1
>
> I don't understand the relationship you're trying to draw between mem-stores

There may be some misunderstanding if I don't describe it correctly. From
the implementation of perf-mem on x86, it needs:
a. mem-stores PMU events;
b. mem-loads/load-latency from PEBS;

If arm64 plans to support perf-mem, we need to support mem-stores and
mem-loads/load-latency, and we can derive the latter from SPE.

> and SPE. How does perf-mem work and what does it actually require from the
> CPU?

An excellent question, I don't check the perf-mem carefully. Just from my
understanding, it needs the mentioned events and PEBS sampled data that is
filtered by desired latency for loads event.

> One thing that may be worth noting is that SPE isn't generally able to
> capture information about all instructions being executed by the CPU:

Got it and I have used SPE on Huawei Kunpeng 920 SoC.

> instead, it instructions (most likely micro-ops) are sampled based on
> some user-specified period. The CPU advertises a minimum recommended

Ok, If I follow it right, perf record -c XXX to define the period for SPE.

> period which we expose under /sys and enforce when programming events.
>
>> For arm64 PMU, it has 'st_retired' event that the event number is 0x0007
>> which is equal to mem-stores on x86, if we want support perf-mem, it seems
>> that 'st_retired' shall be replaced by 'mem-stores'
>> in arch/arm64/kernel/perf_event.c file. Of course, the cpu core should
>> support st_retired event. I'm not sure Will/Mark are happy on this.;-)
>>
>> For mem-loads/load-latency, we can derive them from SPE sampled data which
>> supports by load_filter and min_latency in SPE driver. and we may do some
>> work on tools/perf/builtin-mem.c.
>
> I don't see how you could reconcile the sampling nature of SPE with a
> CPU PMU counter, particularly as filtering in SPE happens /after/ sampling.

Jiri, can you give some implementations of perf-mem on mem-stores and
PEBS please?

>> From the above conditions, it seems that we may have the opportunity to
>> support the perf-mem command on arm64.
>> I'm not very sure about it, so I send this RFC and any comments are welcome.
>
> I don't think there's enough information here to comment meaningfully more
> than SPE != PEBS.

We can get load-latency from SPE now and want to throw the thoughts whether
we should do perf-mem on arm64.

Thanks,
Shaokun

> Will
>
> .

  Last update: 2019-11-05 08:52    [W:0.091 / U:0.092 seconds]