SubjectRe: Kernel Concurrency Sanitizer (KCSAN)
On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 6:49 PM Joel Fernandes <joel@joelfernandes.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 09:51:58PM +0200, Marco Elver wrote:
> > Hi Joel,

> > > Looks exciting. I think based on our discussion at LPC, you mentioned
> > > one way of pruning is if the compiler generated different code with _ONCE
> > > annotations than what would have otherwise been generated. Is that still on
> > > the table, for the purposing of pruning the reports?
> >
> > This might be interesting at first, but it's not entirely clear how
> > feasible it is. It's also dangerous, because the real issue would be
> > ignored. It may be that one compiler version on a particular
> > architecture generates the same code, but any change in compiler or
> > architecture and this would no longer be true. Let me know if you have
> > any more ideas.
>
> My thought was this technique of looking at compiler generated code can be
> used for prioritization of the reports. Have you tested it though? I think
> without testing such technique, we could not know how much of benefit (or
> lack thereof) there is to the issue.
>
> In fact, IIRC, the compiler generating different code with _ONCE annotation
> can be given as justification for patches doing such conversions.

We also should not forget about "missed mutex" races (e.g. unprotected
radix tree), which are much worse and higher priority than a missed
atomic annotation. If we look at codegen we may discard most of them
as non important.

  Last update: 2019-10-04 18:54    [W:0.140 / U:0.472 seconds]