    SubjectRe: [Patch v4 0/6] Introduce Thermal Pressure
    Hi Daniel,

    On Tuesday 29 Oct 2019 at 16:34:11 (+0100), Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> [...]
    > > as there can be mismatch between the actual capping of capacity
    > > and scheduler recording it. Thus solution is to have a weighted
    > > average per cpu value for thermal pressure over time.
    > > The weight reflects the amount of time the cpu has spent at a
    > > capped maximum frequency. Since thermal pressure is recorded as
    > > an average, it must be decayed periodically. Exisiting algorithm
    > > in the kernel scheduler pelt framework is re-used to calculate
    > > the weighted average. This patch series also defines a sysctl
    > > inerface to allow for a configurable decay period.
    > >
    > > Regarding testing, basic build, boot and sanity testing have been
    > > performed on db845c platform with debian file system.
    > > Further, dhrystone and hackbench tests have been
    > > run with the thermal pressure algorithm. During testing, due to
    > > constraints of step wise governor in dealing with big little systems,
    > > trip point 0 temperature was made assymetric between cpus in little
    > > cluster and big cluster; the idea being that
    > > big core will heat up and cpu cooling device will throttle the
    > > frequency of the big cores faster, there by limiting the maximum available
    > > capacity and the scheduler will spread out tasks to little cores as well.
    > >
    > > Test Results
    > >
    > > Hackbench: 1 group , 30000 loops, 10 runs
    > > Result SD
    > > (Secs) (% of mean)
    > > No Thermal Pressure 14.03 2.69%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 32 ms 13.29 0.56%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 64 ms 12.57 1.56%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 128 ms 12.71 1.04%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 256 ms 12.29 1.42%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 512 ms 12.42 1.15%
    > >
    > > Dhrystone Run Time : 20 threads, 3000 MLOOPS
    > > Result SD
    > > (Secs) (% of mean)
    > > No Thermal Pressure 9.452 4.49%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 32 ms 8.793 5.30%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 64 ms 8.981 5.29%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 128 ms 8.647 6.62%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 256 ms 8.774 6.45%
    > > Thermal Pressure PELT Algo. Decay : 512 ms 8.603 5.41%
    >
    > I took the opportunity to try glmark2 on the db845c platform with the
    > default decay and got the following glmark2 scores:
    >
    > Without thermal pressure:
    >
    > # NumSamples = 9; Min = 790.00; Max = 805.00
    > # Mean = 794.888889; Variance = 19.209877; SD = 4.382907; Median 794.000000
    > # each ∎ represents a count of 1
    > 790.0000 - 791.5000 [ 2]: ∎∎
    > 791.5000 - 793.0000 [ 2]: ∎∎
    > 793.0000 - 794.5000 [ 2]: ∎∎
    > 794.5000 - 796.0000 [ 1]: ∎
    > 796.0000 - 797.5000 [ 0]:
    > 797.5000 - 799.0000 [ 1]: ∎
    > 799.0000 - 800.5000 [ 0]:
    > 800.5000 - 802.0000 [ 0]:
    > 802.0000 - 803.5000 [ 0]:
    > 803.5000 - 805.0000 [ 1]: ∎
    >

    > With thermal pressure:
    >
    > # NumSamples = 9; Min = 933.00; Max = 960.00
    > # Mean = 940.777778; Variance = 64.172840; SD = 8.010795; Median 937.000000

    Interesting! If I'm interpreting these correctly there seems to be
    significant improvement when applying thermal pressure.

    I'm not familiar with glmark2, can you tell me more about the process
    and the work that the benchmark does? I assume this is a GPU benchmark,
    but not knowing more about it I fail to see the correlation between
    applying thermal pressure to CPU capacities and the improvement of GPU
    performance.

    Do you happen to know more about the behaviour that resulted in these
    benchmark scores?

    Thanks,
    Ionela.

    > --
    > <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
    >
    > Follow Linaro: <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
    > <http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |
    > <http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/> Blog

      Last update: 2019-10-31 11:08    [W:2.673 / U:0.012 seconds]