SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Kselftest update for Linux 5.4-rc1
On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 8:26 PM Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:

> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 9:35 AM Brendan Higgins
> > <brendanhiggins@google.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry about that. I am surprised that none of the other reviewers
> > > brought this up.
> >
> > I think I'm "special".
> >
> > There was some other similar change a few years ago, which I
> > absolutely hated because of how it broke autocomplete for me. Very few
> > other people seemed to react to it.
>
> FWIW, I am obsessively sensitive to autocomplete and overall source code
> file hieararchy and nomenclature details as well, so it's not just you.
>
> Beyond the muscle memory aspect, nonsensical naming and inanely flat file
> hierarchies annoy kernel developers and makes it harder for newbies to
> understand the kernel source as well.
>
> The less clutter, the more organization, the better - and there's very
> few valid technical reasons to add any new files or directories to the
> top level directory - we should probably *remove* quite a few.
>
> For example 'firmware/' was recently moved to drivers/firmware/, and in a
> similar fashion about a third of the remaining 22 directories should
> probably be moved too:
>
> drwxr-xr-x arch
> drwxr-xr-x block
> drwxr-xr-x certs # move to build/certs/ dir
> drwxr-xr-x crypto # move to kernel/crypto/ or security/crypto/
> drwxr-xr-x Documentation
> drwxr-xr-x drivers
> drwxr-xr-x fs
> drwxr-xr-x include
> drwxr-xr-x init
> drwxr-xr-x ipc # move to kernel/ipc/
> drwxr-xr-x kernel
> drwxr-xr-x lib
> drwxr-xr-x LICENSES
> drwxr-xr-x mm
> drwxr-xr-x net
> drwxr-xr-x samples # move to Documentation/samples/
> drwxr-xr-x scripts # move to build/scripts/
> drwxr-xr-x security
> drwxr-xr-x sound # move to drivers/sound/
> drwxr-xr-x tools
> drwxr-xr-x usr # move to build/usr/
> drwxr-xr-x virt # move to the already existing drivers/virt/
>
> -rw-r--r-- COPYING
> -rw-r--r-- CREDITS
> -rw-r--r-- Kbuild
> -rw-r--r-- Kconfig
> -rw-r--r-- MAINTAINERS
> -rw-r--r-- Makefile
> -rw-r--r-- README
>
> There's a few borderline ones:
>
> - 'block' could in principle move to drivers/block/core/ but it's fine
> at the top level too I think.
>
> - 'init' could in principle be moved to kernel/init/ - but it's not
> wrong at the top level either.
>
> The remaining top level hierarchy would look pretty sweet and short:
>
> drwxr-xr-x arch
> drwxr-xr-x block
> drwxr-xr-x build # new

I am opposed to the "build".

The build tools will go too deep, like build/scripts/kconfig ?

I often use checkpatch.pl, get_maintainer.pl etc.

Do I have to type build/scripts/checkpatch.pl ?

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

  Last update: 2019-10-03 11:10    [W:0.226 / U:0.304 seconds]