SubjectRe: is hibernation usable?
On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 12:53 AM Luigi Semenzato <semenzato@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 3:14 PM Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 11:26 PM Luigi Semenzato <semenzato@google.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you for the quick reply!

> > > Sorry, I don't understand this. Are you saying that, for instance,
> > > you can resume a 30 GB image on a 32 GB device, but that image could
> > > only have been created on a 64 GB device?
> >
> > Had it been possible to create images larger than 50% of memory during
> > hibernation, it would have been possible to load them during resume as
> > well.
> >
> > The resume code doesn't have a 50% of RAM limitation, the image
> > creation code does.
>
> Thanks a lot for the clarifications.
>
> It is possible that you and I have different definitions of "working
> in general". My main issue ia that I would like image creation (i.e.
> entering hibernation) to work with >50% of RAM in use, and I am
> extrapolating that other people would like that too. I can see that
> there are many uses where this is not needed though, especially if you
> mostly care about resume.

Also note that you need to be precise about what ">50% of RAM in use"
means. For example, AFAICS hibernation works just fine for many cases
in which MemFree is way below 50% of MemTotal.

> > > Again, I don't understand. Why did you make that suggestion then?

> > > Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. I may have described a simple
> > > experiment: on a 4GB device, create two large processes like this:
> > >
> > > dd if=/dev/zero bs=1100M count=1 | sleep infinity &
> > > dd if=/dev/zero bs=1100M count=1 | sleep infinity &
> > >
> > > so that more than 50% of TotalMem is used for anonymous pages. Then
> > > echo disk > /sys/power/state fails with ENOMEM.
> >
> > I guess hibernate_preallocate_memory() is not able to free enough
> > memory for itself in that case.
> >
> > > Is this supposed to work?
> >
> > Yes, it is, in general.
> >
> > > Maybe I am doing something wrong?
> > > Hibernation works before I create the dd processes. After I force
> > > some of those pages to a separate swap device, hibernation works too,
> > > so those pages aren't mlocked or anything.
> >
> > It looks like you are doing something that is not covered by
> > hibernate_preallocate_memory().

> > > I apologize if I am doing something stupid and I should know better
> > > before I waste other people's time. I have been trying to explain
> > > these issues as best as I can. I have a reproducible failure. I'll
> > > be happy to provide any additional detail.
> >
> > Simply put, hibernation, as implemented today, needs to allocate over
> > 50% of RAM (or at least as much as to be able to copy all of the
> > non-free pages) for image creation. If it cannot do that, it will
> > fail and you know how to prevent it from allocating enough memory in a
> > reproducible way. AFAICS that's a situation in which every attempt to
> > allocate 50% of memory for any other purpose will fail as well.
> >
> > Frankly, you are first to report this problem, so it arguably is not
> > common. It looks like hibernate_preallocate_memory() may be improved
> > to cover that case, but then the question is how much more complicated
> > it will have to become for this purpose and whether or not that's
> > worth pursuing.
>
> Right. I was hoping to discuss that. Is it easier to do in the
> kernel what I am trying to do at user level, i.e. force swap of excess
> pages (possibly to a separate device or partition) so that enough
> pages are freed up to make hibernate_preallocate_memory always
> succeed?

It should at least be possible to do that, but it's been a while since
I last looked at hibernate_preallocate_memory() etc.

> I started reading the swap code, but it is entangled with
> page reclaim and I haven't seen a simple solution, neither do I know
> if there is one and how long it would take to find it, or code around
> it. (However I haven't looked yet at how it works when memcgroup
> limits are lowered---that may give me good ideas).

  Last update: 2019-10-23 01:17    [W:0.049 / U:0.328 seconds]