SubjectRe: [Patch 1/3] media: ov5640: add PIXEL_RATE control
Hi Benoit,

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 07:14:38AM -0500, Benoit Parrot wrote:
> Hi Jacopo,
>
> Maybe, I miss spoke when I mentioned a helper I did not intent a framework
> level generic function. Just a function to help in this case :)
>
> That being said, I re-read the thread you mentioned. And as Hughes pointed
> out dynamically generating a "working" link frequency value which can be
> used by a CSI2 receiver to properly configure its PHY is not trivial.
>
> When I created this patch, I also had another to add V4L2_CID_LINK_FREQ
> support. I am testing this against the TI CAL CSI2 receiver, which already
> uses the V4L2_CID_PIXEL_RATE value for that purpose, so I also had a patch
> to add support for V4L2_CID_LINK_FREQ to that driver as well.
>
> Unfortunately, similar to Hughes' findings I was not able to make it "work"
> with all supported resolution/framerate.
>
> Unlike my V4L2_CID_PIXEL_RATE solution which now works in all mode with the
> same receiver.
>
> So long story short I dropped the V4L2_CID_LINK_FREQ patch and focused on
> V4L2_CID_PIXEL_RATE instead.

It shouldn't make a difference which one you use; if you know the bus type
(and if it's CSI-2 with D-PHY, number of lanes and how many bits per pixel
the media bus format has), you can convert fairly trivially between the
two.

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@linux.intel.com

  Last update: 2019-10-02 14:36    [W:0.064 / U:5.776 seconds]